Here goes nothing

Options
I've decided to take the plunge and admit that I have a problem with gambling. I've borrowed from various credit cards and loans. I've done so well for a year and royally ruined it this last week. I am a professional, a wife and a mother and this is all secret, debt included and if anyone ever found out I would be so ashamed.

I've never admitted this to anyone not even myself. Today is the day I am going to change. My trigger is boredom, chasing wins and my worst trigger is feeling like I have no money and 'maybe this time' will help that. I actually won enough to pay off a loan this week but gambled it straight away so this proves that even if I do win I will ruin it. I have some mental health issues and feel that some of this behavior is self destruction, not allowing myself to be happy.

I've read a book and it's time to start. I'm not going to stress about giving my whole spare money to pay back debt as I feel this will trigger me as I will be miserable.

So as of October

5500 loan. 125 a month min.
1000 cc. 25 a month min. (interest free)
8987 loan. 178 a month min.
I also have catalogues 300.

My aim is to pay 150 extra than the minimum payments.

Wish me luck. Support gratefully received. No judgement please

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,523 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    Keep posting!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • daisy_jean
    Options
    You've overcome the first hurdle which is admitting. Keep going, and wishing you the best of luck x
  • pidge04
    Options
    Welcome! No judgement from me ... so pleased you are here and that you have a plan. Good luck - you CAN do it.
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • Thanks for your support so far. I'm feeling very positive. I've been reading and decided to try and build a 1000 buffer so if anything happens I'm not tempted to borrow or gamble. That's my first goal which I could do in about 4 months. Second is to snowball my catalogues ASAP after that. Then I'll start hitting the credit card before interest free runs out. Then snowball onto loans.

Spent not a penny for 2 days ��
  • stripeyfox
    Options
    The most important thing you can do today is this:
    https://www.gamstop.co.uk

You have to remove the temptation in your weaker moments, and this is the best way of doing that
  • Oh no failed already. 1000 gone today. Thanks to advice from you guys I've managed to self exclude myself from all online sites.

Sigh.

Rock bottom.

Start again.

5500 loan. 125 a month min.
    2300 cc. 25 a month min. (interest free)
    8987 loan. 178 a month min.
    I also have catalogues 300.

550 (Inc over payment) a month should make a dent if I can stop gambling.

Drawn out 100 to last me October and given my cards to other half. (he thinks I'm saving for Xmas)
  • stripeyfox
    Options
    Don't think as a failure. If the 1000 gone today is what prompted you to self exclude from the gambling sites then that's a massive step forward.

Sent you a PM
  • pidge04
    Options
    I completely agree with Stripeyfox - you have excluded yourself from the gambling sites and that is a massive deal - onwards and upwards!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure