Early Mortgage Repayment Fees

Options
Hi,

I've been reading the forum about mortgage exit fees however was interested to know whether you can claim back mortgage exit fees charged for repaying a mortgage in a fixed rate period.

We was sold a mortgage by a broker and subsequently sold the house in the the 'fixed rate period' the mortgage company on top of the mortgage repayment charged us nearly an additonal £2,000 (three months interest). Can anyone advise me on whether i can claim this back as being an unfair charge?

Just to clarify upon reading the lengthy terms and conditions it was stated! It has taught me a lesson if nothing else.....read the bloody small print!!!!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    these charges are in place to cover the lender for the costs they would have to pay if you choose to redeem early. They are considered fair and acceptable. If you pull out the lender still has to pay the investors or pay them a penalty for you pulling out.
    It has taught me a lesson if nothing else.....read the bloody small print!!!!

How aboout just read the simple key feature illustration. Its not small print. Its not hidden. Its just about as clear as it can be. The tie in is also on the contract offer letter. So, again, it doesnt take much to read it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure