DBS check and multiple overlapping addresses

Options
I am just completing an application for an Enhanced DBS check, using an online portal (provided by an umbrella body) that I have not used before.

This portal asks something that I have not come across before, either on the paper DBS form or on another online portal I have used before - specifically it says this:
You have now completed your 5 year address history and can proceed with your application. If you have lived at multiple addresses during this 5 year period please enter them before proceeding.
For a few months last year (so within that 5 year period), I did more or less live at two addresses concurrently (because life can be complicated!), though I just used one for all my correspondence (bank statements, driving licence etc).

However, on the single DBS application I did late last year which covered this period, I just put down the one address - I did so with a clear conscience, as at the time I didn't have any idea that two concurrent (overlapping) addresses could be submitted, and I don't recall ever coming across any guidance or questions about this issue.

So whilst the obvious answer might be that I just enter the overlapping addresses for my current application, I am a little concerned this might conflict with my previous DBS application last year which did not include this short double-address life.

In other words, in the same way that it is important to be consistent when asking for motor insurance quotes or making credit card applications - where inconsistancies can get flagged up and lead to issues - I'm just wondering if I should be consistent with my DBS application last year and just put down the one address.

To be clear, I've got nothing to hide - my solitary minor brush with the law is well and truly historic, spent and filtered now. For what it's worth I had zero dealings with 'the law' in any sense whatsoever (e.g. including being a witness to something) during my short period of two-address existence - for that matter I've had none since, nor stretching well back into the past too.

So, to cut a long question short- if I am ultra-thorough and put down the overlapping addresses, what is the likelihood that it is going to come back and kick me in the nuts for being inconsistant with a previous application?

Any (considered) thoughts on this are welcome!

Comments

• Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I have to ask, were you *officially* living there?

As in, did you:

- Declare your living arrangements with the council and pay the correct amount of council tax?

- Tell anyone who might blab?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It’s to check criminal records not who you were shagging; just put down your main address.
  • Les79 wrote: »
    I have to ask, were you *officially* living there?

At the non-correspondence address, no - I can't see that there would be any visibility of my having 'half-lived' there in any records, either official or commercial.

Just to be clear before anyone jumps in on one issue mentioned - the householders for both addresses were paying the correct amount of council tax, i.e. neither were claiming the single occupier discount or any other discount.

If I had realised that two concurrent / overlapping addresses were a possibility when doing my last DBS application, I imagine I would have put both down - it's just that before this I have never come across it even mentioned as a thing the system could cope with (whether in any documentation, verbal advice given by organisations requiring a DBS or indeed in casual conversation). And having had a couple of frustrations with CRB / DBS checks over the years, I don't wish to add complications to the matter!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    You're way overthinking this.

Staying at a friend/partner/family member's house a lot for a few months does not mean you lived there. If you also had your own home that you were still staying at plenty too, and that you were paying the council tax, rent, bills etc for then that is the only address you need to worry about.

The website is just giving you a last chance to add any more addresses you may have forgotten.
  • Comms69
    Options
    At the non-correspondence address, no - I can't see that there would be any visibility of my having 'half-lived' there in any records, either official or commercial.

Just to be clear before anyone jumps in on one issue mentioned - the householders for both addresses were paying the correct amount of council tax, i.e. neither were claiming the single occupier discount or any other discount.

If I had realised that two concurrent / overlapping addresses were a possibility when doing my last DBS application, I imagine I would have put both down - it's just that before this I have never come across it even mentioned as a thing the system could cope with (whether in any documentation, verbal advice given by organisations requiring a DBS or indeed in casual conversation). And having had a couple of frustrations with CRB / DBS checks over the years, I don't wish to add complications to the matter!

Then I suggest you owe them money; since only one property required you to be registered.
  • Pseudonymous_Mackintosh
    Pseudonymous_Mackintosh Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2018 at 10:03PM
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Then I suggest you owe them money; since only one property required you to be registered.

Owe who money for what, exactly? And registered for what? The Poll Tax is no more!

(The full, undiscounted council tax was paid by the respective householders at their respective properties - i.e. two houses, two full council tax bills paid.)

Thanks to others for their responses - I'll reply to your collective points tomorrow.
  • You're way overthinking this.

Staying at a friend/partner/family member's house a lot for a few months does not mean you lived there. If you also had your own home that you were still staying at plenty too, and that you were paying the council tax, rent, bills etc for then that is the only address you need to worry about.

The website is just giving you a last chance to add any more addresses you may have forgotten.

Thanks, yes, I was overthinking things! Probably partly result of a recent job (for which a DBS was required) where overthinking things to the degree that you end up chasing your tail and going in circles until nothing seems makes sense any more was the expectation! OK, a slight exaggeration, but I don't think a massive one. I think this was down to the culture of the establishment and the back-covering nature of the management.

In my situation, the two homes where I stayed for a handful of months were both those of family, bridging a gap between one settled address of the past and a place I was moving into and now have a settled existence at now (which for complex reasons wasn't available immediately). I didn't have a formal rental agreement for either temporary address, but contributed to bills and to the households informally.

There wasn't a predictable schedule as to where I was, it varied depending both on my life and their respective lives, none of which at the time was following a strict pattern (because of work and other demands). I think I probably stayed more at the one place - my 'official' correspondence address - than the other, but I didn't keep any records and I'd struggle to reconstruct it all now!

I've just put down that one address so it is consistent with the DBS application I made last year (which was for volunteering). I'd just like the DBS clearance to come through quickly so I can start this new role - in a sane organisation where sensible thinking and common-sense seems to prevail!

In the highly unlikely event there are any questions then I have answers.
  • Comms69
    Options
    Owe who money for what, exactly? And registered for what? The Poll Tax is no more!

(The full, undiscounted council tax was paid by the respective householders at their respective properties - i.e. two houses, two full council tax bills paid.)

Thanks to others for their responses - I'll reply to your collective points tomorrow.

Coubcil tax; if they lost single person discount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure