Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The trees don't all rot down completely, or we'd have no coal. I'm not against bio gas, I just don't think it's as clean as other renewables and that if possible, they should have priority.
    Hi

Conditions have changed considerably on the planet over the past 300million years since the end of the Carboniferous period, which means that the regions which could lay down future FF coal are pretty limited ... find trees in a swamp and there's a chance, but elsewhere it's simply a case of natural decay ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 4:01PM
    Options
    The trees don't all rot down completely, or we'd have no coal. I'm not against bio gas, I just don't think it's as clean as other renewables and that if possible, they should have priority.

Coal was formed millions of years ago (almost all of it during the carboniferous period) when the trees were in swamps / swampy land, the air had a higher oxygen content, and tree eating fungi hadn't appeared, and the carbon material could be buried deep and fast (the formation of the Pangaea super-continent).

Today we no longer have the requisite conditions for trees to 'make' coal.

Apologies for the pedantry, but I'm in two minds about bio-mass, such as wood pellet burning, so to be clear I've been talking about bio-gas, not bio-mass, there is a difference.

Flipping eck Z, my one chance to appear clever, and you beat me by 2 mins!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pile-o-stone
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Today we no longer have the requisite conditions for trees to 'make' coal.

True enough in the UK where we have drained a lot of wetlands and clered a lot of forests for farmland. Vast tracts of East Anglia were once march land. However, not all countries have yet followed the UK in making it almost completely unnatural environment, such as Indonesia. If we left fields fallow because we weren't growing crops to burn or crops to feeds cattle, then we would have a more natural landscape where marshes would return. I visited the Norfolk Broads last year and there is a tremendous amount of effort to keep the broads from silting up and turning back to marshes.

Other than being sequestered in marshland as peat, then eventually coal, the trees are eaten by insects, many of which live and die underground, helping to store carbon in the soil. There is also the fact that a living tree is able to sequester carbon in the soil by sending CO2 to its roots. Trees that are cut down for biomass will no longer sequester carbon. I'd imagine very few biomass companies wait until the tree has died of natural causes before they turn it into energy. Trees live a very long time too, so lots of potential for carbon sequestration. Also, carbon is released by dead trees over a very protracted period, unlike burning where it is released all at once and not as much is released in total from decay as is released from burning.

Anyway, it's starting to feel a little combative in the discussion so I think I'll leave it there and agree to disagree about this. :)
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    True enough in the UK

Sorry, when I say we, I meant the planet, not the UK. The oxygen levels aren't high enough, and tree eating fungi now exists that didn't before, so coal can no longer be made.

But as mentioned, best not to confuse bio-mass with bio-gas.

Hope this helps

Not sure why you feel combative, I thought it had been a very pleasant chat. You asked for reasons to be against nuclear going forward, and I hope I've given you something to think about.

Just to be clear, as per all my posts, I am suggesting RE instead of nuclear, not gas instead of nuclear as you kept misunderstanding. I'm sure once that point is clarified, you can see a way of omitting nuclear from the future mix, but let's be honest, just as much chance I'm wrong as right, but we should know for certain within the next 10yrs, possibly 5yrs as we see how the large scale storage industry develops, then (fingers crossed) you can relax and not feel guilty about abandoning nuclear.

The worst that can happen is that we have nuclear at a higher cost than RE, but still less CO2, so a partial win.

Have fun, and all the best.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pile-o-stone
    Options
    Sorry, when I say we, I meant the planet, not the UK. The oxygen levels aren't high enough, and tree eating fungi now exists that didn't before, so coal can no longer be made.

"Coal is very old. The formation of coal spans the geologic ages and is still being formed today, just very slowly."

https://www.ems.psu.edu/~pisupati/ACSOutreach/Coal2.html

"While the coal-forming process is still happening today, we interrupt that process when we mine coal, particularly of lower rank. If we left lower rank brown coal for a few more million years it would turn into black coal.

"Coal takes longer to form than any other rock type," says Bailey.

Ironically, warming of the Earth's climate may increase the number of swampy coastal environments that are perfect for coal formation. But these coal seams won't be ready for a few million years."

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/02/18/3691317.htm
    Just to be clear, as per all my posts, I am suggesting RE instead of nuclear, not gas instead of nuclear as you kept misunderstanding.

With respect, I don't keep misunderstanding, I know that's exactly what you were saying. My response was that if you concentrate on replacing nuclear with RE, then you're replacing one low carbon energy source with another, but you're not doing anything about a high carbon energy source like gas.

If we had a mix of UK energy with RE at 28%, Nuclear 20% and Natural Gas at 52% and you focus on replacing Nuclear with RE you will eventually have have RE at 48% and gas at 52% and have zero impact on CO2 levels.

As I said, your focus is on removing Nuclear from the energy mix, mine is reducing CO2 emissions from the energy mix, hence the difference of opinion over nuclear.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    With respect, I don't keep misunderstanding, I know that's exactly what you were saying. My response was that if you concentrate on replacing nuclear with RE, then you're replacing one low carbon energy source with another, but you're not doing anything about a high carbon energy source like gas.

If we had a mix of UK energy with RE at 28%, Nuclear 20% and Natural Gas at 52% and you focus on replacing Nuclear with RE you will eventually have have RE at 48% and gas at 52% and have zero impact on CO2 levels.

As I said, your focus is on removing Nuclear from the energy mix, mine is reducing CO2 emissions from the energy mix, hence the difference of opinion over nuclear.

Sorry, but you are still completely misunderstanding what I've said. I'm not suggesting we roll out RE to replace nuclear, existing nuclear is going anyway by about 2030 when it reaches its end of life.

I'm suggesting we roll out RE as per plans/targets etc, then I'm saying rollout more RE instead of the government's plans for new nuclear, since RE is faster and cheaper to deploy.

So rolling out RE + (RE instead of nuclear) is a faster and cheaper (and far more popular) option than RE + nuclear.

Again, just to be clear, so there can be no misunderstanding, RE deployment to increase the amount of CO2 reduction v's nuclear, and faster/cheaper.

So I don't think we do have a difference of opinion, we both want to reduce CO2 as quickly as possible, I'm just suggesting that the no new nuclear option, with the subsidies re-directed into RE would be faster and cheaper than the nuclear option that you asked for arguments to help you reject. I hope I've now made that possible for you.

Regarding coal, I was hoping we wouldn't go down the route of 'it's still possible, just much harder/slower', for all intents and purposes leaving trees to die will not lead to coal production anymore.

However, please note my many attempts to point out that whilst bio-mass is part of bio-energy, it's not the same as bio-gas which is what I was talking about, especially if manufactured from excess leccy and CO2, since that's a zero CO2 option with concentrated storage (possibly weeks of generation) that supports RE very well.

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Regarding bio-gas, have a read of Ecotricity's plans,
    I think their plans include everybody giving up meat and going Vegan. Not going to happen in my house.

I do believe though, that if all buildings were properly insulated, the amount of gas they can realistically produce from grass would be enough. Further, I'm a believer in naturally fed animals for meat, and, cattle, sheep, pigs and fowl do not generally eat grains. This means that if meat animals are fed their natural foods, prices would rise a lot and we'd all eat a bit less meat and consume more vegetables.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My long-term ambition is to get where you are right now
    Once I've got the Tesla Powerwall 2, Zappi charger & couple of 300W panels installed, my next want is a water recycling shower. The shower should pay for itself in about five years if I can source one.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • pile-o-stone
    pile-o-stone Posts: 396 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2018 at 2:20PM
    Options
    Sorry, but you are still completely misunderstanding what I've said. I'm not suggesting we roll out RE to replace nuclear, existing nuclear is going anyway by about 2030 when it reaches its end of life.

I'm suggesting we roll out RE as per plans/targets etc, then I'm saying rollout more RE instead of the government's plans for new nuclear, since RE is faster and cheaper to deploy.

Ahhh! LOL, really sorry Mart, I don't know why it took so long to sink in, or more importantly why I didn't consider that the existing aging nuclear plants are going to be closed anyway, regardless of what we replace them with. In my defense I'm working long hours at work and so my brain isn't firing on all cylinders at the mo. :rotfl:

I'm totally with you now and chuffed that I can get back to my no nuclear stance that sits so much better with me. Such a doofus. :)

I'm still not keen on Biogas if it involves planting crops that we then burn, and I'm not keen on Biomass at all. Coal or no coal, a dead tree will release less CO2 into the environment when it rots down than it would being burned.
    NigeWick wrote: »
    Once I've got the Tesla Powerwall 2, Zappi charger & couple of 300W panels installed, my next want is a water recycling shower. The shower should pay for itself in about five years if I can source one.

I had never heard of water recycling showers, so I googled it and found this:

https://orbital-systems.com/

It looks really interesting, especially if you combine it with water savings taps, dishwasher and grey water/rainwater recycling. If you go with the shower manufacturers 90% water saving and the 50% water savings that are often reported with grey and rainwater recycling, I can see an annual water bill in the 10's of £s rather than hundreds.

I've been concentrating on generation (solar) over the last couple of years and I'm now moving towards increasing our air tightedness and insulation levels. I have done quite a bit already but it's caused a condensation problem that I want to cure before I continue insulating. I have a dehumidifier that is mitigating the problem, but the aim is to fit heat recovery ventilation. I'm currently in the process of fitting the ducting, which is a bit of a nightmare to retrofit to an existing building.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it possible to download hourly production and usage data from gridwatch over a year? I am thinking it would be very simple to build a model based only on wind and storage, put in some made up costs say wind costs 50/mwh (for all output even any that is thrown away because the storage is full) and storage costs 150/mwh(?) and is 75%(?) efficient and work out how much wind and storage would need to be built to meet demand whilst minimizing total cost per mwh.
    I think....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure