In need of a car while undischarged

Options
Im undischaged but in need of a newer car as mine has broke and not worth repairing

Im not sure what my options are now really, been offered money from family to get another car if it turns out mine will cost too much to fix, but what if its worth more than £1000? Does it matter as the money wont be coming from me?

Do I have to tell the OR too?

Thanks

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there

In these situations it's always best to be open and honest with your OR.

Did the OR allow you to keep your car when you were made bankrupt because they were satisfied it was essential for your job?

If so, and nothing else has changed, they may be able to give you a break from your IPA (if you have one) in order to pay for repairs. If that's not feasible discuss the fact that a family member is willing to buy one for you. If the value of the car is reasonable the OR may accept the arrangement.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • KJ2886
    KJ2886 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you, Yeah i was allowed to keep the car, currently pay £70 IPA too.

Think we might be getting it fixed or temp fixed for now until MOT later in the year.
    Im discharged in less than a month too!

Later on if it does fail MOT and need a new car, once im discharged do I have to ask the OR about it then if family want to help out then? as obv will still be in a IPA
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi again

Once you are discharged you no longer have to declare any assets you receive. That means if your family give you money you are free to do with it as you wish. The only thing that you must still declare are changes in your income and outgoings because your IPA will continue until the agreement comes to an end (it's usually 3 years). I hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure