Going out Xmas day

Options
124»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    freyasmum wrote: »
    If I were going out on Christmas, I'd choose a local hotel/gastro pub; I wouldn't entertain Wetherspoons. The one I would choose has a festive menu from £30/pp and a premium festive menu from £35.99 per head. I actually think that's great value for Christmas as the food is lovely. However, they have no availability whatsoever.

If you're not in the habit of eating out regularly, or don't have somewhere that you really enjoy eating, then TripAdvisor is your first port of call. You can check which local places are most recommended.

However, I won't be going out on Christmas as it's generally a major rip off and you are herded in and out in military fashion. Also, not many people want to work on Christmas Day and they're run absolutely ragged.

Whatever you do, you need to act quickly as the best places book up almost as soon as the places are released.
    Is that for Christmas Day?
    If it is, no wonder there's no availability.
    And even if there was availablity, we don't know where this hotel/gastro pub is and of course we don't know where the OP is located.
    But they are 'spoilt for choice' so they're probably sorted. :rotfl:
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apparently so; I couldn't believe it! I'd never go out for Christmas Day, but that price almost had me considering it! :rotfl:

Aye, it was an example of a gastro pub close to me. There are bound to be squads of similar near to him, being in a top 3 city, of course :D
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    freyasmum wrote: »
    Apparently so; I couldn't believe it! I'd never go out for Christmas Day, but that price almost had me considering it! :rotfl:

Aye, it was an example of a gastro pub close to me. There are bound to be squads of similar near to him, being in a top 3 city, of course :D

But probably anywhere decent will be fully booked by now. ;)
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mabr wrote: »
    Having worked as a waitress in a hotel on Christmas Day I would recommend staying in! We were there under duress (if you don't work this shift don't come back) and so there wasn't much festive spirit. The guests were rushed in and out to free up tables (big money to be made on this day) and the best chef was off as he pulled rank for Christmas leave. It made me realise I'm much rather stay at home with a ready meal than put myself through that!

As an ex waitress I very much agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport