Notice and Holiday Pay

Options
Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice and haven’t really found much help by googling.

I’ll shortly be handing in my notice and was wondering how things work with untaken holiday time. Our holiday years run from 1st jan to 31st dec, so far this year I’ve taken 9 days out of my 20 I’m allowed in the year. I understand that you don’t get the 20 straight away and have to earn them by working so I don’t get paid for the full 11 remaining - is that correct?

Those 11 days remaining though I’d already asked to be put in the diary for later this year, well after any notice period would end so I’ll be in my new job by then, I’m not sure if this effects it.

I’ve never actually signed or been given a contract by the company either, and I’ve been there for a few years now. So I have nothing to refer to.

What are my rights around holiday pay? It’s incredibly unlikely I’d be allowed to take them during my notice period.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice and haven’t really found much help by googling.

I’ll shortly be handing in my notice and was wondering how things work with untaken holiday time. Our holiday years run from 1st jan to 31st dec, so far this year I’ve taken 9 days out of my 20 I’m allowed in the year. I understand that you don’t get the 20 straight away and have to earn them by working so I don’t get paid for the full 11 remaining - is that correct?

Those 11 days remaining though I’d already asked to be put in the diary for later this year, well after any notice period would end so I’ll be in my new job by then, I’m not sure if this effects it.

I’ve never actually signed or been given a contract by the company either, and I’ve been there for a few years now. So I have nothing to refer to.

What are my rights around holiday pay? It’s incredibly unlikely I’d be allowed to take them during my notice period.

Thanks for any help.

You would be entitled to a pro rata number of days, calculated to the final day of your notice period, less the number of days you have already taken. So, if your final day is 31 August you would be entitled to 8/12 x 20 days less the 9 days you have taken.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They can ask you to take the days you're owed off or pay you for them.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Your holiday year runs from Jan-Dec and if you work 5 days a week you are entitled to a minimum of 28days inc bank hols, you say you have taken 9 days so far, does that include the 5 bank hols so far this year or are they separate?
    Each month you would earn about 2.33 days (assuming you work 5 day week) so by the end of August you would have accrued roughly 18.66 days.
    Assuming you have taken 9 plus the 6 bank hols by end of August then you will be left with 3.66 days owing to you
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport