PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    nat21luv wrote: »
    Martafdz-where did you buy pork cheeks from, butchers?

I bought them at MrM but butchers often have them, sometimes not on display. Ask them next time but ask also if they are already prepared (without skin and fat). I read Waitrose and I think Asda also have them sometimes. I have seen them at MrM every other week. It's a bit like the pork shank, they do not have it everyday but every so often I find one. We had one for £1.70 last week that turned out in a tasty meal for two. :T I am thinking about boiling one and have it for sandwiches as I read here, it works out cheaper than ham packages, more natural and much better. Not sure how to do it though, do you remove the skin first or do you do that later?
    rosieben wrote: »
    Pork cheek recipes are in the index martafd :T

Thanks!! :o
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • laineyc_2
    laineyc_2 Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    It's been a less frantic day today. I am cooking brisket in the slow cooker and it smells lovely. I also baked some chocolate chip cookies. I have managed a NSD which is good.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    martafdz wrote: »
    I keep reading abiut slow cookers and I was wondering how many different kind of dishes can you do there. Can you do anything else other than stews? Without knowing anything about SC I kind of wonder if there is any other use other than braised beef, meatballs, bolognese, mince meat fillings.. I use my oven a lot, 80% of the time, I love roasted/grilled stuff. I would like to know what the slow cooker could bring to my home if I were to buy one. I know my next purchase should be a chest freezer, but then maybe either a Breadmaker or a Slow Cooker. I need to think what I would use the most :think:

Hi martafdz - I use my SC a lot, it's on at the moment with Brisket cooking. I also use it for Whole chicken, it all drops off the bone so no waste and your left with Stock for Soup, use it for Ham Shank, again it all drops off the bone and again you have Stock for Soup, I use for cheaper cuts of meat that need long, slow cooking, also for Mince based dishes like cottage pie, minced pie, spag bol, lasagne etc etc, Sausage casserole, curries the list is endless.

BUT - I also would miss my Breadmaker as I use it for Bread, dough for rolls, pizza bases, garlic dough balls and this year I'll attempt Jam in the BM - normally make it on Stove top but will try the Jam setting on BM.

I've updated my Total, kids had friends sleep round on Friday night and so I had 4 extra Teenagers to feed:eek: and then last night we had friends over for Dinner and we had to buy some Wine and Beer. Upshot of all of that is that we have less than £75 to last 20 days. Staying positive we do have 2 full freezers and full cupboards so I know we are well placed to stay within Budget.;)

I've made Rolls, millies cookies and choc fridge cake for this week's Lunchboxes, we're well stocked with fruit and Yoghurt so all happy here.:)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• scotsaver
    Options
    laineyc wrote: »
    It's been a less frantic day today. I am cooking brisket in the slow cooker and it smells lovely. I also baked some chocolate chip cookies. I have managed a NSD which is good.

Snap - we're cooking Brisket too!:D Oh, and just noticed you baked Cookies too - great minds think alike.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"

• hamish222
    hamish222 Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask how do you cook your brisket in slow cooker. I am sure I have a large brisket beef lurking in freezer. I have only cooked stews in slow cooker never whole joints. I also have a pork joint and chicken in freezer, how best to do them in slow cooker as well.

Thanks
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • scotsaver
    Options
    hamish222 wrote: »
    Can I ask how do you cook your brisket in slow cooker. I am sure I have a large brisket beef lurking in freezer. I have only cooked stews in slow cooker never whole joints. I also have a pork joint and chicken in freezer, how best to do them in slow cooker as well.

Thanks

I asked Mothership for help with the Brisket as I've never used before so following her tips I browned the joint and put in the Slow cooker with onion, carrot and celery, added water up to almost cover the joint, season with salt and pepper - I didn't add Ox0 as suggested as I want to see how "beefy" the stock becomes on it's own, want to see what the flavour is like as I'm new to using Meat from DR so making comparisons with what we've had before if that makes sense.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"

• Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon, everyone! Hope your Sundays have been nice. I've had a quite busy day, what with visiting some friends, then some more friends popping over and finally settling to make a chicken & ham pie for tea to have with mash and carrots. :) I wish I could get used to writing down the steps of what I'm making - it would make it easier to share the recipes - but I tend to make pie filling by eye, and only follow my standard pastry recipe. Still, today has been a No Spend Day (yaaaay!) so I'm happy. I do have a bit of a shopping list tomorrow, but as it's Shrove Tuesday this week I might do our main shop tomorrow night instead of midweek and that makes the rest of the week a little easier.

Have a good evening, everyone.

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • roger_ramjet
    Options
    Mrs Ramjet and kids depart for the inlaws tomorrow - leaving me with my revision notes, two dogs and a stock of food. She doesn't think I can manage the whole month without buying more food, but I pointed out that we have approx 1kg of cheese, 8 tins of beans, 4 soups, chicken, beef, lamb pork, loads of fresh and frozen fruit and veg, and two bread mixes, etc, etc... I won't go hungry!!

Day 6 done - still no spending! But is is funny, I feel as if I should be going shopping - my mind is hard-wired to pushing a trolley and convincing myself that I need stuff I clearly don't. Is it possible that supermarkets and their offers have made us addicted to spending?:eek:
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
    Target OP (2015): £1500
    Outstanding Mortgage 3: £77000
    [STRIKE] Outstanding Loan: £1161 [/STRIKE] What Loan!
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Called at L*dl yesterday and spent $19.70.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £5.89 spent in Mr M's yesterday.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing