Can you get fit without a gym

Options

Comments

• Novice_investor101
    Options
    The only exercise I do (& enjoy) is walking. My passion is long distance walking, & thru-hiking. I toned up & lost over a stone in weight by "rucking" - basically carry weights in a rucksack & walk. The army do it.

You need a good backpack with hip belts & some dumb bells to slowly build the weight up, but it works. If you're not bothered about measuring the weight, then water bottles will do the job, too.
    I walk 5 miles a day to work & back with about 7-8kg in my pack, training for this summer's hikes.
    It tones & builds strength in all your leg muscles, knees, ankles, back, shoulders & core & burns off a lot more calories than just walking alone.
  • sept
    sept Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    To improve fitness I'd do a HIIT (high intensity interval training) programme (it isn't as scary as it sounds) it only takes 20-30 mins & it's an effective and quick workout with maximum results - but you really have to make sure you push yourself and get that heart rate pumping. Do it 3 times a week and you'll soon see your fitness improve. There are plenty of videos on youtube (TheBodyCoach, Fitnessblender) I used to teach this class every week for about 5 years :p You don't necessarily need any equipment, though it's good if you can progress onto doing some of the exercises with weights to increase the difficulty.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could try something like this in conjunction with dynamic exercises - squats, lunges etc. then various light weight routines.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6078641

Even doing a dynamic warmup prior to main cardio work (which everyone should do to warm up) is exercise and will get the heart beating faster.

https://greatist.com/fitness/full-body-dynamic-warm-up

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_stretching-tips-athletes-dynamic-static.asp

If you are not sure about running, then try a combination of running and fast walking for half an hour.
    The great thing about walking/running is that it is "weight bearing exercise" so will help to guard against early onset osteoporosis, and help improve your cardio vascular system.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    At the moment I can't walk very far without pain... maybe the distance across a small supermarket carpark. Being on my feet standing is worse- normally can take 5 mins of that. I am aware that I may have an underlying health issue -GP and Physio don't agree on that though- but getting fitter would help it.

I did approach my local gym about their 'back to fitness' programme but they wanted £99/month which is out of my league. Also I tried a trial session there and I was in tears by 1/2 way through.

Swimming is also not possible due to accessibility issues at the local pool.

The physios have discharged me to the local NHS get fit service but their opening hours are not compatible with my working hours.

So given that walking/standing/swimming are not options presently, what can I be doing to increase my metabolic rate even a little to get healthier? I do also need to lose 2/3 of my body weight but I'm not thinking that's going to happen by excercise
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 April 2019 at 4:43PM
    Options
    Can you sit on an exercise bike?

I've got back/knee/age/stiffness issues and now can't do the impact classes at my local gym that I used to love. But I can still do Spin/RPM which are cycle classes. You have the choice to stand up in the pedals on some tracks but there is no requirement to. Indeed one guy with a back problem sits all the way through.

Quite good calorie burner too. If the local gym is too expensive (are there no others or is it possible to pay for individual classes?) you could maybe buy a bike for home and ride along to a video
  • Adly812
    Adly812 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m a fitness instructor, Pilates yoga teacher amongst another billion qualified disciplines... YES is your answer.. easy.. in fact I was on holiday for one month and never used a gym, ran everyday and did my own core training... never been fitter
  • halogen
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Can you sit on an exercise bike?
    Sit on one? yes. Pedal one? no. Too painful on the right knee. I can do things with the stretchy elastics that the physio gave me but that's more about strength than aerobics.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2019 at 3:18PM
    Options
    halogen wrote: »
    Sit on one? yes. Pedal one? no. Too painful on the right knee. I can do things with the stretchy elastics that the physio gave me but that's more about strength than aerobics.

Aah okay. I sympathise.

Have any of your local gyms got anything like this?

http://ramsgateleisurecentre.co.uk/feelgood-factory/

Ours is very popular and people have increased their fitness quickly. I have a feeling I may end up in here!

Alternatively the gym offers chair based fitness classes. These, I think, are also available in local halls. ETA. Aqua is a possibility too.

http://ramsgateleisurecentre.co.uk/livebetter/
  • halogen
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions,

Those would be wonderful....but small town....
    I believe there is a chair yoga classs somewhere in town but its 11am on a Tuesday and therefore when I'm at work.

Aqua is also at work incompatible hours, besides I have accessability issues with the pool changing rooms.
    I'll maybe try and get a referral back to the physio for some exercises to do at home.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Options
    halogen wrote: »
    So given that walking/standing/swimming are not options presently, what can I be doing to increase my metabolic rate even a little to get healthier? I do also need to lose 2/3 of my body weight but I'm not thinking that's going to happen by excercise

I think you are right.
    Exercise is very good for health but for most people it’s not going to make a massive difference to weight loss.

You need to concentrate of the food side of things for that.
    Easy to say “eat less” but I am trying a behavioural approach to eating less such as taking take-away containers when I eat out, I can then stop when I choose without the food being “wasted” or having it sat right in front of me.
    Have you tried cutting down portion sizes gradually?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure