Endowment Mis-selling - Don't give up!

Options

Comments

• Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Payless/DD you make me smile!

Re knowing risks.  When I took out my ISA I was in my mid 30's and my IFA didn't say that Fidelity was that risky!!!  Oh well at my age I should have known better.  I should have checked it out more.  It was pointed out to me that the fees were reasonable (Scandia).  Age thought is what I think it comes down to.  When I took out my endowment I was a naive 21 year old.  Not long working, living at home etc.  I can remember thinking at the time - why isn't everyone doing this.  This seems a great deal.  I had absolutely no idea there was any risk attached to it.

Lets face it - most people missold were in their early 20's.  Property prices were more affordable 20 years ago and people got on the property ladder younger.  Unfortunately we fell prey to smooth talkers who omitted to give full information.  We then in turn told friends and relatives about how good the deal was and they too went after endowments.  No one wants to miss out on a great deal.  Should we blame the advisors?  They too had a living to make.  Not an easy job with tough targets for many.  I think many of us who are cucooned in safe, regular employment forget how hard it is for Salesmen to make their living.  I think the blame really lies with the companies.  They encouraged the misselling.

Mind you I still fall for smooth talking salemen now! At my age flattery gets you anywhere!! Pity not more about. Now salespeople are more like sales prevention staff - especially in shops. Typical conversation:

shopper - "have you got any xxxx"
    Assistant - "if we have it's out"

Couldn't they just say yes or no!!

ROFL
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Stung_3
    Options
    Just some industry standard advice which may help / clarify some things to some people.

Firstly the projections used by Insurance Companies to calculate returns are based on guidlines issued by the Regulatory Organisation and take no account of a companies current performance. Please don't take this as necessarily good news as most with profits / unit linked policies have not performed well in the past 5 years.

In addition anyone who has a policy which pre-dates the Financial Services Act 1988 is not guaranteed any compensation whatsoever. There is an 'agreement' between lenders that they will honour advice given but recently the Abbey stated it would not. How many more will follow given the huge volume of complaints remains to be seen.

Another element to consider for those with W/P Policies is early surrender of the policy 'to cut your losses'. Most policies have what is called a terminal bonus which reflects the compay's performance over the term of the policy. In the past this has been as much as 50% of the fund vale in say year 24 of a 25 year endowment. This is now substantially lower (and not guaranteed) but still worth taking into account. Also anyone who is relying on their annual statements for a ball-park valuation should ask the Insurance Company for a surrender value - it will be less than the figure on your statement due to the re-claiming of costs (which are spread throughout the term of the contract - higher at set up - the reason why most premiums remain static throughout the term)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its a good fund the spec sits. I have 15% of my pension in it and the growth in the last 18 months has been very good. Its just volatile. Makes a good regular fund though as you average out the volatility. And if you have the Skandia annual rebalancing, the corp bond funds then make sense as you take the high points and rebalance them into the low risk side.

If that is the case, your selection would make much more sense.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Took me a year to get my compensation, but it was worth it in the end. Did all the right things, wrote to the company, then went to the Ombudsman, who said I should be compensated, firm argued, went back to the Ombudsman, and finally I WON! n The firm paid up pretty quickly afterwards, then I cashed in the endowment, and re-mortgaged with my bank (despite having a very low income including Tax Credits) and managed to clear all the debts my ex-husband had left me with, and now the house is mine, and I know I'll pay it off eventually!
    Don't give up!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• TrickyTrotter_2
    Options
    An update - as suggested in my original post HBOS have now written to me asking me how I want the calculation relating whether I have suffered financially done.

2 options, either 1.) based on their SVR for the life of the mortgage or 2) based on the actual rates I paid. Presumably 1 is less time consuming for them, but as they say, it could work out more or less than method 2, but I've got to decide. This isn't fair, as I have no information or knowledge to base my decision on.
  • Furniture_man
    Options
    :(:(:(:(:(:(

I took out an Endowment with Scottish Provident in 1996. Predictions given last year indicated a massive shortfall. I have been fighting this casewith the Company I took this out with since December 2003.

I have had to do all the pushing to get a result and got thoroughly fed up. I am now informed I will receive an answer to my claim within the next 2 weeks.

If I don't I'm off to the Ombudsman to complain over the length of time taken to settle my claim.

10 months is a ridiculous amount of time, though they keep telling me there are so many claims to clear, I'm just in a queue.

Surely this is not right, and should I go to the Ombudsman without further delay?????????????

??? ??? ??? ???
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • TrickyTrotter_2
    Options
    There's along queue at the ombudsman as well, took 6 months for them to even allocate my case to a caseworker.
  • Furniture_man
    Options
    :o:o:o:o:o:o

AT LONG LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a letter from my Insurance Company.
    'the results of our complaint investigation have been forwarded to our Personal Indemnity Insurer for approval'

Hope this means some compensation???????????/
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • susan47
    susan47 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anybody know how to complain about the Ombudsman??

Sounds strange I know, but we first complained to our IFA about being missold back in October 2002 (a £38k scottish amicable policy back in 1991 with a projected shorfall of £17k), and we went to the FSA in January 2003 when the IFA ignored us. Our complaint was passed from one person to another until they ruled in our favour at the end of 2003 - then the IFA decided to put his case, which was a load of inaccuracies and lies. So it carried on being passed from person to person and finally got to the Ombudsman in May 2004 - where it has stuck since and we haven't heard a thing from him. Every time we ask they say they've no idea how long it will take. But it's been more than two years now, surely that can't be right! Are the Ombudsmen answerable to anybody?

On a more positive note that might help some other people and encourage them not to give up, we had another policy from a company called NEL that we took out in 1988 - before the deadline when you can technically make complaints. Add to that, NEL had been bought out by Century Life soon after we started our policy. Anyway, Century Life said sorry, not their problem as it was 1988 and not their fault anyway. So I wrote to my MP and he passed it on to the relevant treasury minister. She basically replied saying tough, bad luck, nothing she could do, but I wrote back to Century Life saying I had written to my MP etc etc, and quoted a few lines here and there from their letters (and threatened to go to court!) - and hey presto, they paid up! We got all our premiums back in full plus interest - almost £11k, which isn't bad considering the policy was so poor that it was only valued at £5k!! So it can be worth the effort.
  • lunarita
    Options
    I'm ashamed of not having acted sooner but better late than never.

I'm intending to surrender my endowment (sold in 1989) to the company.

Will this mean I can't then claim for mis-selling?

I was shown several quotes at the time but all were for endowment mortgages, none for repayment. All, of course, were ludicrously optimistic.

Question is, does surrendering mean you can't then claim?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport