PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How much???

Options
More in the nature of a baffled "why would you" than anything else.

In Mr T. browsing the reduced aisle and grabbed a small fajita veg kit for 10p. Looked nice and colourful, didn't check the ingredients, presumed it was chock full of different veg and would do for a quick tea.
Just opened it, and it's two thirds onions cunningly disguised with a few peppers and a bit of coriander. Full price £1.75.
I can't for the life of me understand who would pay that much to save chopping up two vegetables. Clearly people do, but it's not even a good selection.
As I say, baffled.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Funnily enough I was chopping up some mushrooms tonight and I thought about how much sliced mushrooms cost and how when they are sliced they go brown and slimy, so wondered why people paid more for these than whole ones. Mushrooms really don't take much effort to slice, even with a blunt knife.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some people I can understand have dificulty in dicing or chopping for various reasons ,but the majority of us are quite capable of doing it. Perhaps the reason it was reduced to 10p says it all as it just couldn't be sold for £1.75.

But then agin I find it odd that anyone would buy tinned custard ,because I can make twice as much for the price.or frozen omelette, or for that matter a lot of frozen stuff yorkshire puds which is only flour egg and milk:)

But I suppose in this world of 'I must save time ' and 'everything must be there instantly' its how things work today.

I just wonder what people do with all this time they think they have 'saved'
    Probably sit on their mobiles texting :):):) or on 'social media' telling everyone how much time they have 'saved' :):):)
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have injured my back and standing (and walking) are painful. Trying to chop veg is very painful.
    So I have discovered frozen chopped onions and they have made my cooking easier.
    I can do home cooked food and not put up with bland micro meals YAY
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    As I say, baffled.
    I think ready meals are effectively a tax on the time-poor. When I'm tired and hungry, I can't even be bothered to switch the oven on and wait for 20 minutes for food - why should I when I can dispense a bowl of cereal in less than 20 seconds? Also has the added advantage of costing a few pence.

I find pre-chopping really helps though, I always try to keep carrot batons in the fridge for a healthy snack. They actually taste better when slightly dessicated.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone care for my job?

My average day is

Peel 400kg of carrots

Fine dice 100kg of onions

Baton, dice and slice said carrots

Dice and baton 60kg of turnip

Shred 60kg of cabbage

Slice 60kg of leeks

Make up 40kg of soup mix

Baton and dice 40kg of parsnips

Make up 30kg of coleslaw

When I cook at home - DH gets the peeler out :)
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I buy frozen chopped onions - my OH works away from home in the week and I often have a cheese, onion and tomato omelette. I don't want a whole onion, I don't like spring onions. We grow our own onions and I've been known to chop and freeze some of those when we harvest them.

I will occasionally buy sliced mushrooms, but only if we've got visitors coming and I'm doing the full English breakfast. There are limits to how much juggling I can do without burning something.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can no longer chop vegetables safely, and Mr LW doesn't fancy okra as an extra ingredient (aka Ladies Fingers, geddit? :D ) so he preps our veg; if for some reason he ceased being able to do that, I would buy frozen - but not things I could still manage to prep myself, and not in "kit" form, I'd buy bags of each individual type of veg.

I must admit, ready made Yorkshire Puddings puzzle me; I use the food processor to make batter for ours.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,290 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I must admit, ready made Yorkshire Puddings puzzle me; I use the food processor to make batter for ours.

If your Yorkies turned out like mine you would understand the ready made ones:o
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is disproportionately expensive ... but it might be that they're fed up of having leftovers to get through. If you buy a pack of peppers and a bag of onions ..... that's a lot of times you have to eat both those things when you might only fancy fajitas, or anything with onions/peppers in, once a month.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    ...But then agin I find it odd that anyone would buy tinned custard..

I cannot stand milk. The only thing worse than milk is hot milk. The smell makes me gag (no exaggeration).

I will occasionally make custard for my husband from scratch :(, but usually if he wants custard he will buy a tin. He is not the best cook and would rather buy then try and make his own. Plus it means not hot milk smell in the kitchen too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure