Tesco Clubcard New Railcard offer?

Options
I understand that Tesco Club card were meant to be bringing out out a new Railcard offer in November. Does anyone know what and when

Comments

• Pensioner_Dave
    Options
    Previously I saved my clubcard vouchers for a Senior Rail card which I think worked out about £10 of vouchers, but it seems this offer is no longer available. I did hear somewhere of Tesco bringing out another benefical scheme for railcards using your Club Card vouchers but cannot find out any more information on this subject
  • Stephenbw
    Stephenbw Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The Clubcard reward for a Senior Railcard used to be 2for1 i.e. It used to say £15 will buy a Senior Railcard worth £30.

This was due to improve on the 30th of November, and looking at the Clubcard website now, it has. It now says that £1 in vouchers is worth £3 in Railcards so you now need only £10 to get a £30 Senior Railcard.

Now that its presented as £1 in vouchers buys £3 to spend on railcards I'm wondering if this means that you can now buy an even better value 3 year card (worth £70) for £23.50 in vouchers.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 March 2019 at 5:24PM
    Options
    It is that time of year again, time to renew my Senior Rail Card.

There are two differences from last year:

The screen for turning Tesco vouchers into something to spend to get the Senior Rail Card is different.

This year I do not have enough Tesco vouchers to be multiplied up to £30 to spend on the Rail Card.

So what is the system trying to say?

Does it say you can use enough Tesco vouchers to get halfway to the £30 and make up the difference with £15 of real cash (using a plastic card)?

Or does it say you can have £15 of Rail Card authority now BUT you must save up the other half (in say 6 months) to have the full £30 and then buy a Senior Rail Card?
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I have found the answer to my question;
    You can use only one code from converting Tesco vouchers but it seems you can top up with real money to get to the £30:

Buy PART of the railcard with Tesco vouchers

Deb38

17 days ago

I bought this on Monday, although I didn't have enough vouchers for the whole cost. I just paid the difference in cash. It was really worth it, and very easy to do. If you order an electronic card, you get it straight away, and I was able to use mine on Tuesday morning. Brilliant and easy to do.

Travelling in April, so I wil be ordering the ticket at the end of March and I will let you know how I get on.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I ask what may be obvious to some but not me. My Wife and I are both eligible for a senior rail card, how do we buy two tickets for us both to travel together using two rail cards thereby getting the lowest fare available. On the railcard website I can only get comparison fare results for two passengers using one railcard which doesn't give you the lowest fare as you only get the discount for one railcard. I realise we can purchase two separate tickets using both railcards but we want to be seated together.

Thanks
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    nickcc wrote: »
    Can I ask what may be obvious to some but not me. My Wife and I are both eligible for a senior rail card, how do we buy two tickets for us both to travel together using two rail cards thereby getting the lowest fare available. On the railcard website I can only get comparison fare results for two passengers using one railcard which doesn't give you the lowest fare as you only get the discount for one railcard. I realise we can purchase two separate tickets using both railcards but we want to be seated together.

Thanks

When you select the Senior Railcard, there should be a box alongside to show how many railcards you're using, just enter 2.

If you always travel together, you should consider buying a two together Railcard when your current Senior Railcards expire, that way you only need buy one card instead of two.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JulieM wrote: »
    When you select the Senior Railcard, there should be a box alongside to show how many railcards you're using, just enter 2.

If you always travel together, you should consider buying a two together Railcard when your current Senior Railcards expire, that way you only need buy one card instead of two.

Haven't bought one yet as didn't realise that you could get the Clubcard offer. Rarely use the train as live in deepest Cornwall but will still be a good saving even if we travel to London once a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure