HMRC: Beware of tax rebate text message scams

Options

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    anyone not already aware of such scams should be caught by them as they deserve to be
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    anyone not already aware of such scams should be caught by them as they deserve to be
    We are only aware of scams like this because of publicity like this :).
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RG2015 wrote: »

Depends what you mean by "we"; we on this site should be fully aware of a range of scams including many that purport to be from HMRC.
  • SpiderLegs
    SpiderLegs Posts: 1,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I got the automated phone call one yesterday. As always with numbers that I don’t recognise I let it go to answerphone. I am apparently under HMRC fraud investigation. ‘Press 1 to speak to someone or the warrant will be issued and you will be arrested’.

I await the knock on the door.
  • RG2015
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    RG2015 wrote: »
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by "we"; we on this site should be fully aware of a range of scams including many that purport to be from HMRC.
    00ec25, You appear to be suggesting that everybody should already be aware of these scams.

agrinnall, You appear to be suggesting that everybody on this site should already be aware of these scams.

I believe that the media should continue to publicise these scams so that as many people as possible are continuously kept informed.

Not everyone is as knowledgeable as the regular posters on this site and to mock those less well informed is unnecessary.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You only need to type HMRC into any search engine to get plenty of warnings about these scams, I would be surprised in this day and age that anyone was unaware of them.
  • RG2015
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    You only need to type HMRC into any search engine to get plenty of warnings about these scams, I would be surprised in this day and age that anyone was unaware of them.
    I don't understand what you are saying.

If nobody is unaware of these scams then who are the people that end up losing money?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Very good point. If everyone was aware of them the scammers would move onto something else.

Don't know how successful these email attempts are but newspapers still have stories about people conned into paying an alleged HMRC debt with iTunes vouchers, from the type of call SpiderLegs referred to no doubt.
  • SpiderLegs
    SpiderLegs Posts: 1,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Scams are not designed to be successful against the kind of people who know about scams. That would be pointless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure