How do you manage your heating this time of year?

Options
13»

Comments

• KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Heating's been off for two days now, hopefully that's it until November!
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is 1pm..... heating not on..... sun hits the front bedroom, hence its warmer in there.

46904656264_c7e74899b3_z.jpg

For proper geekyness, you can also use Home Assistant to squirt this data to influxdb so you can graph via Grafana.
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • KevinG
    Options
    19.0 on the main thermostat in the hall, plenty warm enough for me. Couldn't tell you what it is anywhere else, except outside, where it's 17.0.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    KevinG wrote: »
    Heating's been off for two days now, hopefully that's it until November!
    You ol' tight wad!:D
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry Mike, not very diplomatic of me, so apologies.....

Started stripping out the airing cupboard today, will make a start on the bathroom tomorrow to get the plumbing all sorted and in situ ready to receive the thermal store. Still debating whether to go for the 160 which is adequate for the two of us, or the 210 to cater for the long winter days of iffy generation!
    Nothing to aplogise for, not like you insulted me, always good to hear differing experience and views.

Will post comments on thermal store on the original thread to keep the comments together, hope work is progressing well.

Thanks, Mike
  • KevinG
    edited 18 April 2019 at 12:20PM
    Options
    You ol' tight wad!:D
    I held out until December a couple of years ago! Certainly no need for heating in the house now. I'm on LPG so it costs me a bit more than those with mains gas. Mind you I have just reduced my price per litre by 40% by changing supplier for the first time, I should have done it years ago.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I let the hall thermostat deal with it....heating on all year, thermostat set at 19 degrees during the day and 15 degrees at night. Costs £68 per month. I do (sometimes) remember to turn it off when we go on holiday...
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • KevinG
    Options
    JGB1955 wrote: »
    I let the hall thermostat deal with it....heating on all year, thermostat set at 19 degrees during the day and 15 degrees at night. Costs £68 per month. I do (sometimes) remember to turn it off when we go on holiday...
    That sounds very wasteful to me and that's a lot of money!
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If its cold it gets turned on no point using the timer......as somebody else pointed out when the sun hits front of house its nice and warm
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 April 2019 at 10:45PM
    Options
    We try to manage with the GCH off and use the Solar PV via the 2 immerSUNs to run the UFH in priority to the immersion heater to heat the kitchen floor - it's a large kitchen at 22 m2 - and once that is hot and the water too (or on very good days when we generate more that 3kW) the second immerSUN kicks in and powers oil-filled radiators in the lounge - also large at about 35 m2. This normally sees us through to bedtime, especially on days like today.

Switched the GCH off mid March this year as we were away for a couple of weeks but house was a tad cold when we got back. One day's normal use and things were back to normal and the gas went off again. April gas consumption is looking to be about 135kWh, which is down by about 80% on last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure