Inventions

Options
Hi everyone

I haven't invented something from scratch, but I have a really good idea to develop an existing product.

I haven't got much money, what can I do?

Should I approach one of the companies that manufacture the existing product?

Any Idea's welcome

Thanks in advance

Louloulouisa

Comments

• sandhabibi
    Options
    I can only suggest that you get yr ideas onto paper and seriously get professional advice....
    I redesigned a product to improve it and NEVER done anything about it, I'd asked ppl if they would buy the product with my re design and ppl thought it was great, that was many years ago, but I done nothing...
    Last year I was watching a design show on tv and somebody had actually made the product and I was gutted as realised I'd missed the boat....
    So go for it..
    Olympic bronze challenge-started 7/1/06-total so far is £194.30
  • louloulouisa
    Options
    Thanks sandhabibi for your reply, Its a shame about your idea. Where do I go for professional advice???
  • carolan78
    carolan78 Posts: 993 Forumite
    Options
    I am the same have a great idea to improve a current prouct but I don't have a clue where to start. I am not sure if atents are needed to protect it (with it been a modification to something that already exsists).

I am also afraid the costs involved in patenting maybe beyond my reach, but if I went to appropriate companies to try to sell the idea on for them to impliment I would probably be shafted so I am very confused.
  • Nenen
    Nenen Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Options
    Wow! I'm in the same position... I got a 'lightbulb' idea for a product while on holiday this summer... got no idea how/where to start. It would be great if someone knowledgeable came on here!
    “A journey is best measured in friends, not in miles.”
    (Tim Cahill)
  • carolan78
    carolan78 Posts: 993 Forumite
    Options
    Or if we can update eachother IF we ever find answers to the endless questions lol
  • Dim-Tim_2
    Options
    Be VERY careful.

25 years ago I "invented" :-

Automatically dimming rear view mirror for cars. It would progressively dim dependent upon the brightness of the light from behind.

Reversing Sensors for cars. Lights on the dashboard to tell you how far any object was behind you when reversing.

Touch sensitive lamp dimmer. Put almost anything on the base of the table lamp (pot plant for example) and touch the plant/whatever to dim/brighten the lamp.

I hawked these around to a few people/organisations and drew a blank nobody showed any interest.

The rear view mirror is seen on many upmarket cars using my exact method.

The reversing sensor ? Guess you all know about those these days.

The Lamp dimmer ? Oh! some months later it was on Tomorrows World as a brilliant invention produced by some company !

BE VERY CAREFUL. Get advice and do not mention your "thing" to ANYBODY until you have it all tied up legally. If you mention it to just one person you can invalidate any patent application.
  • 17Dave
    17Dave Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    At the end of the day you can patent / copywrite / trademark all you like it will not stop someone ripping off your idea just give you the right to sue! Have you got the money for a top barrister? Nike and others have and do persue companies - I seem to remember Dyson getting a big compensation cheque a few years ago.

Thats the bad news.
    You can however follow Dysons model - keep innovating.

To the original question - approach the company making the ordinary product and say you can improve it. Dont tell them what it is immediately but guage their reaction - if they are trying to expand / compete in their market they may well listen (I do know an ordinary individual who got to speak to ASDA and was well received.

Prepare well - try and do some careful market research - don't ask "will it be better with ..." do ask how could its functionality / appearance / usability be improved.
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him no good."(Samuel Johnson 1709-1784)

Lots of years in financial services, still learning!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure