The MSE Leaders’ Debate 2019 – Pick key issues for PM candidates

Options
Each general election, we run the MSE Leaders' Debate – where we put key consumer finance questions to party leaders.

This time we hope to get Jonathan Bartley/Siân Berry (Green), Jeremy Corbyn (Labour), Nigel Farage (Brexit), Boris Johnson (Conservative), Adam Price (Plaid Cymru), Nicola Sturgeon (SNP) and Jo Swinson (Lib Dems). The questions below are a mix of ours and those suggested by you, the MSE users.

Help us narrow them down – at least the top five will be included.

Comments

• Cormedy
    Cormedy Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 13 November 2019 at 9:09AM
    Options
    So thus far, the three main issues are social care, state pensions and pension inequality...could we do away with this poll and get a poll together that isn't so biased towards one age group? We usually break them down by age - why not ask the two questions each for those under 30, those between 30 and 50 and those 50+ or something?

Ps. Are people actually expecting the next government to reintroduce state pension inequality? Sounds like wishful/selfish thinking really. Bit of a waste of a question.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a fair point. I struggled to find many that I actually care about but being young(ish) pensions and social care issues really aren't on my radar.

This is quite an old forum so I'm not really surprised by the results.
  • JANET_BAILES
    JANET_BAILES Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 November 2019 at 10:26PM
    Options
    What is going to be done to rectify the total devastation caused by the up to 6 year hike in State Pension age for 3.8 million Women born in the 1950’s which was implemented with little or no notice ? The taking away of 6 years State Pension has caused severe hardship to many who are having to choose between heating their homes or buying food. This has been ignored for several years. FULL RESTITUTION is sought by BACKTO60.COM and WASPI CAMPAIGN 2018 and WE PAID IN YOU PAY OUT what are the Politicians proposing to do to sort out the mess they have caused resulting in a sub class of Women..... Pensionless Pensioners some having lost £40,000 plus.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What is going to be done to rectify the total devastation caused by the up to 6 year hike in State Pension age for 3.8 million Women born in the 1950’s which was implemented with little or no notice ? The taking away of 6 years State Pension has caused severe hardship to many who are having to choose between heating their homes or buying food. This has been ignored for several years. FULL RESTITUTION is sought by BACKTO60.COM and WASPI CAMPAIGN 2018 and WE PAID IN YOU PAY OUT what are the Politicians proposing to do to sort out the mess they have caused resulting in a sub class of Women..... Pensionless Pensioners.

Wasn't it tiered with women over a certain age getting it earlier?
  • JANET_BAILES
    JANET_BAILES Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 November 2019 at 8:25AM
    Options
    Yes it was tiered with the highest age difference at present being 6 years. I believe this is accurate-
    Born 6th April 50 to April 53 gradual rise from 60 to 65. Born April 53 to April 54 new SP age 65 to 66. Born from April 54 to April 68 State Pension age is 66.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had to wait until I was 62.5 to get my state pension. It wasnt a huge surprise as I got regular pension forecasts but the extra money would have been useful. We didn’t really suffer though as we have 4 works pensions between us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure