Comments

• phoenix7900
    Options
    Borough Council of Wellingborough
    Council Tax Band Before: C
    Council Tax Band After: B
    Amount refunded: Still waiting to hear
    Annual saving going forward: £110.75 for year April 09/10

Received notification of council band reduction within 4 weeks of applying to the VOA, backdated to 1st April 1993. I am still waiting to hear about any refund, I think it should be around £300 and its the first time the Council will owe me instead of the other way around!! Fingers crossed :j

Thanks so much Martin!!
  • swede
    swede Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Property revalued from a band C to a band B, credited with £992.80.
    Semi detatced house in derby.
    Many thanks
    swede:beer:
  • swede
    swede Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    COBRA

i was told by my valuing officer that it doesn't matter wot improvements u make as houses should be revalued when they are sold so they are correct for new owner, i have extended and loft conv and recently won an appeal, cheers
  • Ankelea
    Ankelea Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Been through the whole process and told we are to late to claim !! not that we are in the correct band but just because we have lived here for more than ten years we have no claim.
    Hope others have better luck.
  • ellielovesem
    ellielovesem Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    My parents has a refund of over £3000 after checking their banding via info from this site. It was hassle free and they got their cheque really quickly. Definitely worth looking into, on their estate there is a massive discrepancy, lots of houses the same, some on D others on E. I suspect the D ones are the people that appealed and the E ones are still oblivious!
    :eek: - Just because I love this emoticon!
  • susan47
    susan47 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Borough Council of Darlington
    Council Tax Band Before: F

Council Tax Band After: E
    Amount refunded: over £2,000

This was a couple of years ago now and I had no problems at all. They sent someone round and within a couple of weeks we had the cheque, the refund was backdated to 1991. We save hundreds of pounds a year now, but when I told the neighbours they said they didn't want to know - they thought it would make their resale value less if they had a lower band even though they're about the only people in the street now in band F and the biggest house in the street is even an E (though the guy said he thought that was at least an F!). It all seems a bit of a mess and the guy admitted that they had suspected the whole street was wrong from the start but nobody did anything about it.
  • chutchinson
    Options
    Trafford Council
    Currently Band F

I have been told that my appeal to the valuation officer has been rejected and I have no right of appeal to the Independent Tribunal as my "proposal to alter the valuation list" is not valid. Anyone had this before ?

Thank you.
  • mr-tom_2
    mr-tom_2 Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    I had a weird case - a neighbour contacted the council and got everybody's banding reduced from B to A (I was a bit surprised) but Bristol City Council refused to backdate anything.

Are there any rules that say they have to backdate?

Tom.
  • Bargain.Hunter_10
    Options
    Local Council: Islington
    Council Tax Band Before: E

Council Tax Band After: D
    Amount refunded (from June 2002): Over £1400
    Annual saving going forward: About £200

Very grateful for the tip. I'd never have thought to check this if I hadn't been doing the money makeover.
    The rebanding assessment was handled really quickly but we were told that if our claim to reband was rejected we wouldn't be able to appeal as we had lived in the property for over 6 years (we should have sorted it out within 6 months of moving in apparently, but it had never occured to us in all that time that the banding would be incorrect).
    It took a couple of months and a bit of email and telephone nagging to get the money back into the bank (we had to confirm at least a couple of times that we wanted a refund rather than to put the money owed towards our 2009-2010 council tax...!)
  • carolann1977
    Options
    I also managed to get my council tax band altered and money back thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family