10 Years On ...

Options
It's been a while since I've been on here but I've already seen a few familiar faces. Yesterday was my ten year anniversary of going bankrupt. 04/04/08 is a day I will never forget. Thanks to this forum I was completely informed of everything that would happen therefore wasn't in the slightest bit worried.

My BR was business related. I was probably one of the only people thankful for the economic crash in 2008 because that is the only reason I was able to keep my home. Property prices dropped which meant I had little equity in my house and my husband was able to purchase i (I believe my share was £550 - any more than that and we probably couldn't have managed it). The BR put a strain on my marriage at the time and I don't think it would have survived a repossession. These days though we get along better than we ever have.

As of today, I rarely have bankruptcy related trouble - except I am trying to get business insurance and haven't yet found one that doesn't ask that question - I haven't delved further to see if they will accept me though so it may not be a problem. Another thing is home insurance, you have to go over the fine print of any insurance to make sure they don't ask that question.

I suppose the purpose of my post is to show there is life after BR and what you may find so daunting really is only money and isn't worth ruining your health over the worry or embarrassment. Also, the post is to thank this forum once again and all the people who gave me so much support and knowledge. I also was an avid supporter (see post count!) for about 3 years and never thought I would leave this forum because it was such a 'safe' place but I needed to move on and there were plenty of new faces here giving valuable support so it was left in safe hands.

Anyway best of luck to all of you.

:j :j

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi fiveyearplan

Thanks for posting this. It's always good to hear stories like this and gives hope and support to those who are considering bankruptcy, or already going through the process. I'm pleased to hear it's worked out well for you and wish you all the best for future.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • philnicandevan
    Options
    (Hiya stranger glad to see lifes treating you well!) i'm over 12yrs on now....and life still throws the odd curve ball but getting by now a damn lot better than I did in the past...
    Not quite a newbie as you think ;);) (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..:p
    BSC 58 :D
  • GaryWhite
    GaryWhite Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Really inspiring.. Thanks for sharing
  • ian_h
    ian_h Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    Glad things are going well, just had the same issue with business insurance but AXA Direct don't ask the question (OR make an assumption)....
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Five!

Good to see you back for a visit and very pleased things are going well for you.

DD.
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure