Council Tax Cost Cutting: reduce your band and grab any discounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Grace, fantastic news! Your case truly does seem to have dragged on for ages so I'm really pleased for you that you have FINALLY got the right result.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • mikeb1
    mikeb1 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All
    Got this letter today which reads.

"I refer to your proposal dated 15/7/08 relative to the above property (my previous address).

Although your proposal has not been made within the time laid down by statute and is consequently invalid, I am prepared, without prejudice, to alter the entry in the Council Tax List, in respect of the above property from band B to band A with effect from 1/4/93.

However, if you disagree with my opinion you may appeal to me in writing, within 4 weeks of the date if this notice and you should include reasons in your support of your appeal.

If you accept this offer, a formal notice to this effect will be issued to you in due course, and the Director of Financial services will be appropriately advised. Please confirm your acceptance promptly in writing. "

Any ideas on what this means and what my next step should be?

p.s. I live in scotland
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mikeb1 wrote: »
    Any ideas on what this means and what my next step should be?

Sounds like they are agreeing to reduce your band backdated to 1993, but your best bet would be to contact the person that sent the letter and ask them to explain it :)
  • perkstericn
    Options
    I called my local valuer person and made my complaint verbally they sent me confirmation message they would investigate and it would take up to two months etc. Just got their response and they basically say they believe it to be correct as a band D and i have no right to appeal. He gives no evidence no reason no data to support it. While i aparently dont have a right to appeal it, i am writing a strong letter back asking for him to justify his decision since I had both evidence that exactly the same properties as mine were band Cs and a roll back from a recent sale to Q2 1991 which puts value at 57k which is middle of the band C bracket. Id like to see what proof they have.

i live in a block of four maisonettes, 2 upper, 2 lower, i live in one of the upper ones and my side upper neighbour is a C and my below neighbour is a C. me and diagnoally down are D's, this makes no sense at all. and known valuations compute to 57k clearly band C, i couldnt find any older sales than 2001 on ourproperty.co.uk, where can I get 1991 sold evidence? My local library doesnt have archived papers. Plus this block of four maisonettes is the only one of its type nearby and the rest of the road are 5 bed detached houses so hardly comparable, but i cannot fathom how the 4 maisonettes are not the same banding and the council seem happy with it. In actual fact my below neighbour whos sale price I am using in the roll back is worth more than mine as their proeprty has front and back gardens and parking space where I only have parking space.

any advice on how i can take it further or is my letter in vain as they have made their decision and i have no appeal?
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    any advice on how i can take it further or is my letter in vain as they have made their decision and i have no appeal?

The person that dealt with the case should be named on the letter you got. Give them a call and ask them to explain the decision. Ask them to explain the 1991 evidence they used and to justify why the other properties are in lower bands.

If you still disagree you will probably need to carry out some more research of your own. There is a mass of info about taking things further on this thread.
  • mikeb1
    mikeb1 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    thanks guppy will phone them
  • perkstericn
    Options
    guppy wrote: »
    The person that dealt with the case should be named on the letter you got. Give them a call and ask them to explain the decision. Ask them to explain the 1991 evidence they used and to justify why the other properties are in lower bands.

If you still disagree you will probably need to carry out some more research of your own. There is a mass of info about taking things further on this thread.

Thanks Guppy, I will give him a call first and dig around for more evidence and write a thorough letter, I have read back through the thread and it seems that other people have been at the stage I am and still got the LO to change his mind, so that gives me hope!
  • beingjdc
    beingjdc Posts: 1,680 Forumite
    Options
    Hello team, I'm still plugging away to get my 2-bed flat taken out of Band F and put in something vaguely realistic.

Anyway, what I was wondering was if anyone knows how long the VTS have to organise a tribunal? Is that covered in the six months from appeal or is that just for the VOA?

I appealed in November, but they mislaid it (after acknowledging receipt). I appealed again in February. At the end of May they wrote rejecting the appeal and asking me to withdraw it. I have refused to do this so it is going to a tribunal.

Since then, no word. Tribunals are scheduled up to the start of September. I am going abroad for three weeks soon so I hope it's not during that time, but all the same - how long can they string me along for?
    Hurrah, now I have more thankings than postings, cheers everyone!
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi beingjdc,

I'd phone the VTS and ask them where you stand. They should know if your case is ready for listing, and if you make them aware of your particular circumstances they can be aware that you are going away and can hopefully schedule around your trip.

The VTS were very helpful to me. They even sent me a DVD of how the tribunal process works (which you hand back afterwards), which lets you know what to expect.

Good luck!
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • larrymac40
    Options
    Has anyone who has had their banding reduced and had a refund -claimed or received interest on the refund?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback