Paying £2880 into pension when retired

Options

Comments

• caveman38
    caveman38 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't follow your figures.

I though the £3,750 was all taxable (added to £8,750 = £12,500) but should be within Personal Allowance.

19/20 Tax Year. Tax code will be 1250. She will only withdraw from SIPP a figure that keeps her under that figure

But then when you get to £4,650 £900 is suddenly tax free.

With the additional £3,600 including PIRAS paid into SIPP. She can withdraw an additional £900 tax free, totalling £4,650

What type of withdrawal is she making in each situation?

From year 2, she will make £900 tax free withdrawal and £10 in month 1 and 340 per month for months 2-12 and hope HMRC inform SIPP provider of her tax code.

It also sounds like she has significant savings. Is this in an ISA or will she be able to get better rates on taxable accounts coupled with use of the savings starter rate of tax where up to £5,000 of taxable interest is taxed at 0%?

She can juggle her savings to suit that fact. As you say there are many savings rates better than ISA's.

Assuming my figures are correct, that is how she will proceed. The dilemma is whether the 2880/3600 plan will be worth it based on my figures and her SIPP not reducing enough.
  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 867 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I set up a SIPP for my mum who is 73 and a non taxpayer. Paid the £2880 into the SIPP and £720 was claimed by Hargreaves Lansdown from HMRC. So now £3600 in account. All good except I cant see how to withdraw the cash. I added her bank account to her SIPP account, but apparently it's not that simple. She would like to take out £2600 and leave £1000 in the account and add another £2880 next year, but how do you withdraw the cash, she got a message from then saying cash cant be withdrawn but here are your options, one of which was drawdown. I assume this is what we need to do, but can't see how to do it on the website. Help please lol
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Help please lol

https://www.hl.co.uk/retirement/drawdown/faqs

She needs to request the illustration and then fill in the forms to commence drawdown.

She will then be able to take the PCLS and whatever of the balance is required - it will be taxed and she will need to apply to HMRC for a refund.

She will have to ask HL to "reopen" the SIPP for the next dollop and can proceed similarly.

Remember the tax relief is only available up to age 75.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/pensions-tax-manual/ptm044100
  • swindiff
    Options
    Thanks for that. Will she need to ask to reopen the sipp if she leaves 1000 in there. She has only asked for 2600 to be moved into drawdown.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    swindiff wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Will she need to ask to reopen the sipp if she leaves 1000 in there. She has only asked for 2600 to be moved into drawdown.

No because it wont be closed.
  • swindiff
    Options
    Thats what I thought but checking after xylophones post.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Once the SIPP has been crystallised, you need to contact HL before paying in your next £2880.
  • swindiff
    Options
    She won't be crystalising all of it though. plan is to leave 1000 in there uncrystalised
  • skycatcher
    skycatcher Posts: 330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I only became aware of this opportunity this time last year at whick time I was 1 full tax year away from drawing my company pension which would make me a tax payer again. Because of my tardiness in setting up me SIPP (with HL) and moving it to drawdown my account wont have been open for a full year until 6/4/19 (rather bad timing on my part!).

So here is my query if anyone can put me straight.
    I currently have £1000 in my drawdown account and have got my SIPP reopened (currently with £0) ready to put £2880 into in the next week or so. Can I therefore (when the tax relief is added) move £3600 into the drawdown account and withdraw £3600 without the tax free 25% lump sum this financial year and then next financial year (i.e. after my account has been open greater than 1 year) opt to take the £900 Tax free lump sum from this year hence only getting taxed on £100 rather than £1000 as I'll be a basic rate tax payer next year?

Yours very confused!

Sky.
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    skycatcher wrote: »
    I only became aware of this opportunity this time last year at whick time I was 1 full tax year away from drawing my company pension which would make me a tax payer again. Because of my tardiness in setting up me SIPP (with HL) and moving it to drawdown my account wont have been open for a full year until 6/4/19 (rather bad timing on my part!).

So here is my query if anyone can put me straight.
    I currently have £1000 in my drawdown account and have got my SIPP reopened (currently with £0) ready to put £2880 into in the next week or so. Can I therefore (when the tax relief is added) move £3600 into the drawdown account and withdraw £3600 without the tax free 25% lump sum this financial year and then next financial year (i.e. after my account has been open greater than 1 year) opt to take the £900 Tax free lump sum from this year hence only getting taxed on £100 rather than £1000 as I'll be a basic rate tax payer next year?

No, you can't do that.
    You have the option to take up to 25% PCLS at each crystallisation event. It's a one shot chance - use it or lose it.

Also, if your SIPP has only been open since 6/4/18, it sounds like you have already contributed for this tax year (6/4/18-5/4/19) - if so you will be unable to contribute again (and get tax relief) until 6/4/19.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback