Gestational Diabetes - What to eat??

Options
Just had results back and I failed because my fasting blood sugar was high but it went down to normal after I had the drink :mad:

Now comes the problem what the hell do I eat now?

I've tried doing google searches but everything that comes up involves loads of prep and faffing about and I don't have the time or the inclination for that

So I'm looking for some quick and easy meal ideas particularly lunches I can grab on the go same with breakfast as I'm terrible at a) remembering to bring lunch in with me or b) wanting to eat what i have brought in
First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you been referred to a dietician? If not, ask about one.

Diabetes UK have some information

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Diabetes-the-basics/Gestational-diabetes/Diet-and-lifestyle
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Have you been referred to a dietician? If not, ask about one.

Diabetes UK have some information

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Diabetes-the-basics/Gestational-diabetes/Diet-and-lifestyle

Thank you they haven’t given me any useful information yet. I have to attend a group session on thursday to be given a monitor but they haven’t even given me my numbers from the test I did last week. Just told me I’d failed because my fasting blood test was high but it went to normal after I’d had the glucose drink
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 18 March 2019 at 8:24PM
    Options
    Faith177 wrote: »
    Thank you they haven’t given me any useful information yet. I have to attend a group session on thursday to be given a monitor but they haven’t even given me my numbers from the test I did last week. Just told me I’d failed because my fasting blood test was high but it went to normal after I’d had the glucose drink

Have they only done one fasting glucose? It could have been high for a number of reasons, if it went down to normal after the glucose drink then I can't see how they'd diagnose diabetes just from that, generally speaking if you had diabetes the result would also be high after the glucose drink.

Personally I'd ask for a second opinion, one high reading in the morning doesn't make you a diabetic.

In the meantime, the best thing is a low GI diet as it will help stabilise your blood sugar, so high fibre, low calorie cereals, avoid sugary drinks, brown bread not white etc. Don't worry too much about sugar in things like baked beans, milk etc, and you're fine with most proteins, just make sure you stick to low GI carbs. This is the information my GP gave me for T2.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kadison wrote: »
    Have they only done one fasting glucose? It could have been high for a number of reasons, if it went down to normal after the glucose drink then I can't see how they'd diagnose diabetes just from that, generally speaking if you had diabetes the result would also be high after the glucose drink.

Personally I'd ask for a second opinion, one high reading in the morning doesn't make you a diabetic.

I'd disagree with your last sentence. The diagnostic criteria for gestational diabetes are quite strict - only one elevated fasting glucose is required. Gestational diabetes is a different beast to type 2 diabetes, it carries a few potential risks to mum and baby, which is why it needs to be monitored and treated. It usually disappears after delivery, but there is an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes in later life.
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Cyclizine wrote: »
    I'd disagree with your last sentence. The diagnostic criteria for gestational diabetes are quite strict - only one elevated fasting glucose is required. Gestational diabetes is a different beast to type 2 diabetes, it carries a few potential risks to mum and baby, which is why it needs to be monitored and treated. It usually disappears after delivery, but there is an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes in later life.

Ah ok, yes I thought T2 and GD were pretty much the same, only GD disappears normally, my mistake, if you delete your message I'll delete mine x
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • georgewhittington
    Options
    Healthy food choices should include vegetables, fruits, lean protein, low- fat dairy, legumes and whole grains. If you have gestational diabetes, it is important to eat healthy carbohydrates to help you control your blood glucose level.

Limiting fat intake is another part of controlling gestational diabetes. While pregnant women should not actively diet, it is important to ingest the right kinds of calories. Fat should make up no more than 30 percent of a daily caloric intake.
  • keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

In the meantime, the best thing is a low GI diet as it will help stabilise your blood sugar, so high fibre, low calorie cereals, avoid sugary drinks, brown bread not white etc. Don't worry too much about sugar in things like baked beans, milk etc, and you're fine with most proteins, just make sure you stick to low GI carbs. This is the information my GP gave me for T2.
    Cyclizine wrote: »
    Ah ok, yes I thought T2 and GD were pretty much the same, only GD disappears normally, my mistake, if you delete your message I'll delete mine x

Just because I disagree with deleting messages (and Cyclizine's post was very useful!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure