Put away your purse & become debt-averse

Options

Comments

• Tescodealqueen
    Options
    I follow your diary and am a lurker. Just had to say regarding your earrings m and s routinely put those little stoppers on the packaging ( i do have a few cheap and cheerful Christmas earrings from them as I have earrings rather than Xmas jumpers for fun) I will save them from now on for situations like you describe as I tend to rely on the hooks but recently lost one of my cheapie earrings as it wasn't fastened properly and I was gutted to have lost a £2.50 favourite heaven knows how I would have felt if it had been one of my gold or silver ones
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Awww, sorry you lost one of your fave earrings Tescodealqueen. That's what I'm trying to avoid. I find dangly earrings sometimes get caught in my hair, or in a scarf or just get half pulled out with my furry hood if it's a cold day. I often notice in the mirror that one of them is nearly right out of my ear. At least these wretchedly expensive little nodules will stop that happening, anyway.
    And it's nice that you de-lurked to say hello!
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Afternoon all,
    I'd put today aside for a bit of gardening, so naturally I woke up to the sound of rain spattering the windows. It was after lunch before it finally stopped showering & there was a teensy patch of blue sky. Had to grab the chance. Boots laced on. Peruvian Yeti cardigan buttoned up. Out I went!
    Because of the never-ending rain, my autumn progress on garden clearing fizzled out & so everywhere I looked, I saw a job which needs doing. Well, that can feel a bit overwhelming, can't it, so I decided to implement the 3-job list method straight away, & this will carry on over the week ahead on dry days when I can get outside.
    Today's tasks:
    -Planted up a lovely ceramic patio pot I received for Christmas from friends with narcissi bulbs, which were another gift. Already had compost, so did not require a potentially tempting little trippette to the garden centre.
    -Cleared weeds & overhanging straggles of hedge from the corner of garden which I planted up as a winter bed last year in memory of my Mum & Dad. Excited to see several types of bulbs pushing through, including a few snowdrops already in bud.
    -Moved my big rhubarb forcing crock into position over one of the crowns so as to get some of those deliciously pink early stems to enjoy next month.
    I had a walk around the garden after that & I think my next 3 tasks will be to plant the last of my cheapie allium bulbs, clear the last third of one of the big borders (November's rain stopped play on that one) and to dismantle last summer's lettuce tunnel to get it out of the way of a tree which we will soon be having professionally felled. Once I;m dividing all that hard work up into 3-task 'bites', it all feels so much more manageable.
    I can still progress a veggie garden job even if it rains, as it is pretty much time to get my seed box out & see which seeds I still have in plentiful supply & which I will need to buy. Mr F is keen to try growing a new crop this year.....maybe celeriac....& I'm going to try Lemon Drop chillies. I bought some lemon drop chilli jam from a local food fair & it was yum, so I thought I'd give them a go.
    It's lifted my spirits being outside with my boots in the soil & the smell of greenery being clipped & trugged. The lergy also seems to have hit the road too. I made some spicy prawn rice last week & rammed it with garlic, so maybe that helped see it on its way.
    It's Mr F's cooking night. He's busy chopping red peppers & listening to some or other geeky podcast, so I think I will light some candles & try to finish my book.
    Enjoy your evenings all,
    Peace,
    F xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Ooh, the foxgloves gardening updates - I've really missed those. I'd love to be your neighbour FG, I'd pay you to keep my garden.

Enjoy your evening.

Wish
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Lol, Wish - If you were, I would doubtless be popping round with endless free plants & bags of pears, but I certainly wouldn't take on any extra gardening, even for pay! My garden keeps me quite busy enough!
    F x
  • savingmore
    Options
    £5.50 is outrageous. looked on the amazon link and whilst only 1.33 who needs 50 pairs? i also need some as lost two favourite earrings recently.....was out for day with dh and came home with only one earring. asked him how long had i had only one in, he never noticed....men. sometimes i despair. must have lost it early on as it wasn’t in coat, house, car or path....

hoping to try poundland next time i am out...will report back, but may be a while. glad you are gardening again:T:T:T:T
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    savingmore wrote: »
    £5.50 is outrageous. looked on the amazon link and whilst only 1.33 who needs 50 pairs? i also need some as lost two favourite earrings recently.....was out for day with dh and came home with only one earring. asked him how long had i had only one in, he never noticed....men. sometimes i despair. must have lost it early on as it wasn’t in coat, house, car or path....

hoping to try poundland next time i am out...will report back, but may be a while. glad you are gardening again:T:T:T:T

You could just buy a couple of pairs of cheap earrings and take the backs off them and use, that’s what I’ve done in the past. Bought a cheap pack from Primark
  • foxgloves
    Options
    savingmore - Oh I know! The first thing we do when we notice we've lost an earring is try to find out how long it's been missing, as that's the vital clue to where we need to look, or at least phone & ask if anyone's handed one in.
    I've transferred my very expensive little plastic blobs onto my dangly earrings today. In that packet, there were 12 pairs, so that really is pretty expensive for what they are. I think I shall have to stop moaning about it this week, though. I'm now telling myself that it is infinitely better than losing treasured silver earrings.
    F x
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Lantana - Thanks for dropping by. Yes, that's an option, but the waste would be a problem for me. I really only wear sterling silver wires these days so I'd have to give the new pairs of cheap earrings straight to a charity shop or bin them. It's interesting that what we're all agreed on is that £5.50 for 12 pairs of these minute little plastic blobbules is just silly money!
    Oh, I've just said I'd stop moaning about it.....that didn't last long, did it?!
    F x
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Evening all - Well, considering we are not in one of the key storm-affected regions, the wind is hugely getting up outside tonight. I've just walked down to the postbox & blew nearly all the way back!
    I've had quite a productive day, but the 2 hours minimum of leisure time I promised myself this afternoon just hasn't happened, thanks to some confusing missives in my email inbox from our energy company (it's just merged with another one). Oddly, I received two bills simultaneously. I THINK one of them was worked out on estimated figures, then they have sent another one as an 'adjustment' using meter readings I HAD sent them, as requested, Although it said on this one that they hadn't received any meter readings from me for ages. I contacted them at the beginning of this month with a query about meter readings (there was an error in something I received about these) & nobody replied, so I phoned this afternoon to find out what was going on. As I sat in the phone queue, an extremely enthusiastic voice kept telling my that I might like to try emailing........so I did in the end & an assistant got back to me very quickly, but I was still confused, so have spent way more time than I'd like this afternoon studying bills & wafting my calculator around. I think I get it now, but have nevertheless emailed AGAIN to check that what I believe to be the case, actually IS the case. I've said that as it's effectively a new company, I need to be confident from the very beginning that I understand how these figures have been arrived at, especially since the 2nd bill received today has a debit balance on our account that is significantly bigger than the 1st one (also received today). I think the debit was inevitable, as our monthly dd was reduced to too low a figure at the beginning of last year & I knew it would come back & bite us heartily on the bum.
    Ah well, I'll see what reply I receive to my request for further clarification & make sure I am putting into practice all my little energy saving ways.
    On a less tedious note, I've enjoyed baking bread today, I've put a big stew in the slow cooker for later & there'll be plenty leftover too, have cast on the 2nd sock I'm knitting for the presents bag & managed 40 minutes in the garden. Amazing what can be done in 40 minutes - I took down last year's salad tunnel & packed it away then weeded & dug over the bed, I planted the last of my bargainaceous allium bulbs in the old galvanised metal BBQ bucket - their purple shades should look good against that, then I went to the watercress pots to dismantle those ready for re-sowing in Spring & found that as it hasn't been very cold, there is still usable watercress. So I emptied out the old water in the washing-up bowl the watercress pots live in, cleaned it out & filled it with fresh water. I have quite a lot of winter salads in the greenhouse, but there is enough watercress for soup & if we don't have a big freeze, it should keep growing.
    Anyway, I had better go & get the spring greens prepped and light the fire. Cat has been mithering for this all day! (The fire, not the spring greens!)
    Stay warm all,
    F x
    Paid the asbestos invoice today. It was exactly smack on what they quoted me & at least £46 less than
    I expected to pay, based on hearsay from people on our road who have had quotes for this service in the past, so I was pleased with that. Haven't heard back about the tree felling yet, so will chase that if I don't hear this week x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback