Any self employed hairdressers out there? I have a question for you!

Options
Hi all,

My partner is a self employed hairdresser. Her arrangement with her salon is £10 a day rent, a 60/40 split (60 to my partner) and she’s has to pay for all purchases and repairs. We’re also in East Anglia in a local town.

She basically feels as if she’s being ripped off and was wondering what other arrangements self employed hairdressers have with their salons?

Many thanks all

Comments

• JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I guess she is able to find her own premises and pay for the business rates, bills etc if she wants to.

With anything if you don't like the terms/conditions - move on
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    60:40 is pretty average really. I've seen 50:50 occasionally and once saw a 40:60 but it was a pretty grotty salon.

As above, the salon owner bears the costs of the building, heating, repairs, lighting, security, waste disposal, marketing, receptionist, so can be pretty substantial.

If she's not happy, why doesn't she contact a few other salons to ask what they charge and whether they have any chairs going spare.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If she drives she could set up as a mobile hairdresser if she doesn't want to rent a chair somewhere or set up her own premises.

Could start doing evenings / weekends whilst building up a client base, keeping her day chair on the go, then give that up as she establishes.

Obviously she needs insurance and contacts for buying hair dye / equipment.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure