PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Time to ice the cake

Options
Each year I bake a Christmas cake for family members.

To date I’ve iced the whole of the cake but this year I’ve had a few requests to only ice the top, but I’m not sure. My thinking is that the icing stops the cake from drying out and by only icing the top the drying out and long term life of the cake will deteriorate Any thoughts?

If I thought it would, and I do, affect the long term quality of the cake then I will ice the whole cake and let them discard it if they wish

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    IME regularly feeding the cake with 37%+ spirit and wrapping well does a brilliant job of stopping the cake from drying out and deteriorating. But the success of this strategy is also contingent on finding a very good hiding place for the cake.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine has had plenty of brandy over this past few weeks and I don’t have to hide for everyone knows what they are getting - and it is well appreciated
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Seriously, I think icing a good Christmas cake is rather like gilding a lily, and mine keeps for ages well wrapped.

The hiding bit is necessary otherwise it gets scoffed in a trice.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    I am another voice in favour of a well-fed as opposed to well-iced cake!

When I have been gifted a cake then it rarely lasts long enough to dry out!...also I like a little bit of boozy cake with cheese....or with a big mug of tea...both of which go better with just top icing (if that!)

If stored in an air-tight tin the cake should last a good few months without ANY icing....so I would go 'top only' if that has been requested.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nooooo! Wasting the side cover of marzipan........
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• horsechestnut
    Options
    For the past 20 years I have only iced the top of the cake; fewer calories!!!
    When you are ready to ice the cake, put a firm band of grease-proof paper around the side. The marzipan and icing will hold it in place and it keeps the moisture in until it is cut. (At that point it acts just the same as cutting into a fully iced cake, as the actual cake is then exposed). Store in an air-tight tin or plastic cake-container. I then put a large ribbon around the cake which adds to the decoration and of course the grease-proof paper stops the ribbon from getting stained (so can be reused)
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    OMG I am really craving Christmas Cake now, which I normally save until after Christmas Day.

Unfortunately I cannot forget where I hid it, so its officially on the risk register :o

• kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed repky
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I only ice the top of my cake but put a cake frill round the sides.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure