Pre-employment checks - advice

Options
I’ve recently been accepted for a job at a high street bank.
When I applied, I couldn’t remember my exact qualifications from high school - I stated that I got a C in a certain subject but when I was asked for proof I discovered I’d actually failed the subject and got given the lower qualification for that specific subject.
I’m worried this will affect my job offer. I haven’t lied on purpose I genuinely just thought that was accurate to what I got. They emailed me asking why it was different and I was open and honest and told them I couldn’t remember the exact qualification. And before anyone asks yes I know I should have checked before putting it on my cv. But I didn’t.
Does anyone think this will affect my job offer and it will get withdrawn? I don’t need any type of professional qualifications for the job and my past experience all adds up: I just don’t want this mistake to ruin my chances of getting the job!

Comments

• Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I think (assuming you are talking about GCSEs) it depends on a few circumstances such as:

- Do you have basic English skills (C or above)?
    - Do you have basic Maths skills (C or above)?
    - Are most/all of your other ones accurate and thus it looks like a genuine mistake?
    - Was it effectively a D instead of a C, or was it worse than a D?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I can understand somebody not remembering precisely what grade they got, but thinking they had passed when they failed is more difficult to accept.
    I the qualification is a requirement for the job it could most definitely affect the job offer.
  • alece98
    alece98 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I can understand somebody not remembering precisely what grade they got, but thinking they had passed when they failed is more difficult to accept.
    I the qualification is a requirement for the job it could most definitely affect the job offer.
    Yeah I totally understand and appreciate that and now wish I checked before I made that mistake.
    The grades are definitely not a requirement for the job. I have all the required job experience needed.
  • alece98
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    I think (assuming you are talking about GCSEs) it depends on a few circumstances such as:

- Do you have basic English skills (C or above)?
    - Do you have basic Maths skills (C or above)?
    - Are most/all of your other ones accurate and thus it looks like a genuine mistake?
    - Was it effectively a D instead of a C, or was it worse than a D?
    I’m in Scotland so we have Highers rather than GSCES but the subject I’m referring to is a National 5 qualification (which is one lower from a GCSE whatever that is) I have a C in English and I have passed basic life skills maths. Basically didn’t try very hard in school so I decided to drop out of maths and just do the units. So I’ve wrote that I achieved a National 5 C in physics when I actually failed my exam (so an F) however I still passed the Physics units which is on my certificate. It was just a genuine mistake and the rest of my qualifications are correct which I have already evidenced
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I highly doubt the Physics will be a requirement for the job.

Be honest from now and say you made a mistrake thinking you passed at the grade you said when actually you havent and hope they can accept that ypu made a genuine mistake.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I suggest that you inform them as soon as possible about the error in the information you provided. Far better for you to tell them directly than for them to discover it from the certificates.
  • alece98
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    I highly doubt the Physics will be a requirement for the job.

Be honest from now and say you made a mistrake thinking you passed at the grade you said when actually you havent and hope they can accept that ypu made a genuine mistake.
    Yes I was honest and told them I couldn’t remember my exact qualifications and that I had put what I thought to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully it goes ok!
  • alece98
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    I suggest that you inform them as soon as possible about the error in the information you provided. Far better for you to tell them directly than for them to discover it from the certificates.
    Yes I was honest and told them just after I gave them the certificates and made them aware I had made a mistake as I forgot exactly what the grades were.
  • PookyW
    PookyW Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Be interested to know how things have gone alece98? With the discrepancy being over your physics certificate and this not being too important to the job, I doubt there would be a problem.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't see it being a problem but I'd be interested to know the outcome too.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure