will i be better off changing from monthly pay to weekly

Options
At the momemt i get paid monthly, i get the same amount at the end of each month. I am changing jobs and i shall be getting paid weekly does this way work out more in the end with the months with 5wks in, because as i said i get a set amount each month even when there has been 5wks in the month.
Thanks for your help kaz

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To work out the yearly amount you will be paid:

For the monthly pay multiply by 12

For the weekly pay multiply by 52

You can then divide the figure eg that is your monthly pay by 52 to see what the weekly equivalent is and vice versa.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • EmmaLi
    EmmaLi Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    I get paid weekly and for some reason this means that I actually pay slightly less tax and NI.
    Succesfully fighting mental health problems on a daily basis.

Debt @ August 2012: £7999.34
    Sept 2012 challenge: £300 / £0.00
  • helen_vasey
    Options
    usually, when you are paid monthly it is every 4 weeks so you actually get paid 13 times in a year, i would think that if you get paid on the same day every month your pay will be evened out over 12 months.
  • mercedes125
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all your replys i do get paid on the same date each month, so i think that i will end up being better off paid weekly especially when there is 5 pay days in the month.
    Thanks again kaz
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd imagine your employer will multiply your monthly wage by 12 then divide by 52 to give a weekly wage, barring the tx/NI implications someone else mentioned I can't see you being any better or worse off whether monthly or weekly paid
  • Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong, but on weekly pay, you only have to give a weeks notice, but on monthly pay, you have to give a months notice.

That's what I understand anyway.

It's not a financial gain, but still something worth considering.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    don't think notice periods are related to pay cycles, it should be in the contract of employment. And if not then stuatory rules are 1 weeks notice if you've worked between 1 montha nd 2 years or 1 week per year above that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure