CSA and unpaid Child Support

Options
I want to preface this by saying it may be moot point as the CSA has closed MY case and is closing the agency. I've been told there is no recourse or complaint route.

My mother left my father when I was 2 and was paid by the CSA until she started work when I was 10. The CSA never found him to claim their money from him, so they paid my mother.
From age 10 no money was paid by him or the CSA because my mum was working.

So my father has 6 years, I left school at 16, of unpaid child support.

The CSA has written of his debt to them of over £3000, lucky him.
They have also written off his debt to me of around £200.

My question is, What should I do about the 6 years unpaid child support from him? Or does he not have to pay because Mum was working?
Or is it more hassle than it is worth in the end?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    I'm really sorry. I've read a few posts on another web site where they have done exactly the same so it's not just you, I expect they've looked at a batch, decided there's no chance of recovering the arrears and just closed the files. Your mum working has no bearing on this, he'd have to pay regardless, but if there's no chance of them getting hold of the cash for you there's very little that they can do. You could ask them how they have come to this decision and take it from there? I am really sorry.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I want to preface this by saying it may be moot point as the CSA has closed MY case and is closing the agency. I've been told there is no recourse or complaint route.

My mother left my father when I was 2 and was paid by the CSA until she started work when I was 10. The CSA never found him to claim their money from him, so they paid my mother.
    From age 10 no money was paid by him or the CSA because my mum was working.

So my father has 6 years, I left school at 16, of unpaid child support.

The CSA has written of his debt to them of over £3000, lucky him. - £3k, for 10 years, £300 a ye, 25 a month?
    They have also written off his debt to me of around £200. - he didn't owe you anything

My question is, What should I do about the 6 years unpaid child support from him? Or does he not have to pay because Mum was working?
    Or is it more hassle than it is worth in the end?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

There's very little you can do, this money was never yours.
  • Yorkshire.Lass
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. Reading around a few places it seems he just gets away with his debt to the CSA and my mother.

@CakeCrusader : We did ask and they said that apparently my mum called them in 2000 and told them to end the case. Which she knows she didn't and wouldn't have.
    As for taking it further they told us flat out no, as the case is closed.

@Comms69 Those figures are from the CSA albeit verbally as "They have no paperwork as the case is closed".
    The £200 they said that is his debt to me/my mother, they didn't have dates that that debt pertained too just said he should have paid me/my mother.

Again thank you both for taking time to reply to me.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. Reading around a few places it seems he just gets away with his debt to the CSA and my mother.

@CakeCrusader : We did ask and they said that apparently my mum called them in 2000 and told them to end the case. Which she knows she didn't and wouldn't have.
    As for taking it further they told us flat out no, as the case is closed.

@Comms69 Those figures are from the CSA albeit verbally as "They have no paperwork as the case is closed".
    The £200 they said that is his debt to me/my mother, they didn't have dates that that debt pertained too just said he should have paid me/my mother.

Again thank you both for taking time to reply to me.

The CSA are not legal experts. You are not owed, nor were you ever owed child support. This would be something only your mother could attempt to chase up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure