stress free celebrations - how to enjoy the big day

Options
2»

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spread Christmas out, it doesn't all have to happen in one day or at least all in one morning culmunating in a big lunch & a big sleep off.

We like to go to church christmas eve and have a special meal for just us afterwards, this is "our" time.There is also boxing day & the days between Xmas & new year, not to metion news years eve & day which can all be treated as family days too instead of trying to cram everyone in in one go. Get them to save the pressie exchange for when they see you as it is more meaningful if the kids actually take the time to play with them & might even remember who gave them to them this way!

If you have Christmas lunch try delaying opening some of the pressies until the afternoon (easier said than done with small & big kids I know). Better still have christmas lunch at dinner time, just have a big brunch in the morning then a early dinner. If you aren't a great cook & are likely to get stressed about things going wrong in the kitchen then now is not the time to experiment, there are some great ready prepared versions available (don't tell them on Old Style that I said this though:o)

If you have guests don't be shy in asking them to bring a dish...stuffing, pigs in blankets, pudding, salad, whatever, or at least giving them a job to do : please could you watch the veggies for me whilst I play with the kids for 15 mins or putting one (sober one!) in charge of taking family photos or making sure everyone drinks are kept topped up (and diluted as needs must!)

Speaking of drinks, if you are on a budget or have people who might over-indulge try only offering alcohlic drinks with meals & in the evening, or make up a jug of bucks fizz instead of offering wine around & simply don't offer any spirits, you can have "run out" if they ask!

Personally we have a no-tv rule over christmas. Seriously, it doesn't get switched on for 3 days (although occasional things might get recorded!). A good walk is never a welcome thought but usually enjoyed once people get out, as long as the weather is nice & there will be loads of friendly people doing the same thing. If you don't have a dog neighbours might & maybe you could join them throwing sticks for him (we are always inundated on the river bank thorwing sticks into the river for the dog to swim to) Play games like board games, cards or the new dvd-interactive games (good pressies as people are normally more enthuastic about playing them then!) & enjoy time together as a family not stressing out so that everyone can sit down in time to watch another James Bond film. As another poster said, you never know what is around the corner & quite frankly I want whichever chirtmas is my last with my family to be happy memories, not too much food, sugared up kids & spudding in front of the tv to dominate it!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure