“Home, home on the *****”

Options
Friend works for a well known megastore, sing the song above and you’ll get it....lol....

This April the 1st, minimum wage goes up by 50p.
So you would expect any hours worked after that date, the hourly rate to attract the extra 50p an hour.

The “accounting period” for calculating wages straddles that date (4 week salaries) so three weeks before the increase date and 1 week after it.

But everyone who works for this firm on minimum wage (whether or not they work 8 hrs or 40 hrs a week) does not get the extra 50p an hour.

This happened last year as well, with 1000’s of employers, this is a large amount.

Any suggestions what to do....by the way this company does not allow unions.
No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere

Comments

• Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2018 at 12:36PM
    Options
    They should be getting 50p extra as of April 1st 2018 if that is when the wage increase took place. Also, I believe that the pension contributions have gone up by 1% as well.

I would probably have a look on the ACAS webstie/call them for further guidance, because I suspect that it is not something that can be resolved simply by going into your boss' office and asking.

Also, there will be unions which you can join. Quick google search reveals one called USDAW which may be a good option to join for future issues (they probably won't be interested in this issue if you were to join now).

You cannot be discriminated against based on whether or not you are part of a trade union.

In real terms, though, we are talking roughly £15-£20 after tax/pension is taken off for a 40 hour worker here. That certainly adds up on a grand scale, and the company will be saving a fair chunk by doing it. Though to be fair if they have 1,000 people and deprive each of them of £20 then it is only really £20,000 and that's probably peanuts compared to their revenue from sales so I don't immediately see their motivation because the risk v reward is skewed. Are you sure that they don't make a manual adjustment in the wages at some point?

Depends how much you want to fight for £15-£20 as well really... And how much it may jeopordise your ability to pick up £1000+ a month in the months to come (ie stay in the job)
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mamabuddah wrote: »
    Any suggestions what to do....by the way this company does not allow unions.

Luckily union membership doesn't fall to the company.

Speak with a union re the situation as this is a collective issue and a point to organise on.

They may not have an option but to recognise if enough employees join.

Didn't last years situation focus their thoughts (obviously not).
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    They should be getting 50p extra as of April 1st 2018 if that is when the wage increase took place. Also, I believe that the pension contributions have gone up by 1% as well.

I would probably have a look on the ACAS webstie/call them for further guidance.......

if you had looked yourself you would have found this.
    A new rate will apply to the next pay reference period that begins on or after the date:

a rate increase begins
    an employee reaches a new age bracket.
    For example: an employee paid on the 20th of each month will start to receive the new rate of minimum wage from 21 April onwards

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1902
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    if you had looked yourself you would have found this.

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1902

Ok. Thank you for your insight :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family