Which lenders aren't online with mortgages?

Options
I guess it's not a total surprise given their business model, but I was a bit taken aback to learn that first direct don't have any online access to mortgage accounts at all. It's "in the works". It's all via paper and telephone a bit like 1979.

Are they the only anachronistic bank/building society, or is this more commonplace than I realised? I wonder if HSBC are the same and this is simply a policy decision as opposed to a lack of technical development.

Comments

• AFK_Matrix
    AFK_Matrix Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Nope both the lenders I have been with have no online facility and it's mighty annoying.

Bank of Ireland and Leeds Building Society haven't realised it's 2017!
  • BeckyAP
    BeckyAP Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Our mortgage is with Halifax and it shows up on my online banking - current balance/current repayment etc.
    We're yet to make our first payment so I can't tell you if the balance changes every month but it is somewhat terrifying seeing such a large number on the screen when you log in!
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BeckyAP wrote: »
    Our mortgage is with Halifax and it shows up on my online banking - current balance/current repayment etc.
    We're yet to make our first payment so I can't tell you if the balance changes every month but it is somewhat terrifying seeing such a large number on the screen when you log in!

Ours is with Halifax and yes the balance does change every month on their online banking and app.

In our case it creeps down at a snails pace :rotfl:
  • clairebeth
    clairebeth Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Really? I didn't realise this, we are currently remortgaging to First Direct and we upload our documents online etc and they have their current accounts online, so I just assumed the mortgage would be too. What a pain. Our first lender, Teacher's Building Society didn't have an online facility, had to phone up for the balance etc, v annoying!
  • dsab
    dsab Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Northern Ireland's biggest local Lender, Progressive BS, doesn't have any online facilities either. Can be quite annoying, but putting up with it due to the good rate I got with them.
  • Lucky_Duck_2
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    ? I wonder if HSBC are the same and this is simply a policy decision as opposed to a lack of technical development.

I can see my HSBC mortgage balance, make over payments, check remaining over payment allowance, etc. using online banking.
  • debtisnotme
    debtisnotme Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with Principality, I can't make overpayments online but I can view my balance, mortgage details etc
    Debt on 25/5/17
    Mortgage[STRIKE] £61,999[/STRIKE] £59,335
    Secured loan approximately[STRIKE] £20,000[/STRIKE] £19,353
    Unsecured debt in DMP with Stepchange[STRIKE] £38,887[/STRIKE] £37,763
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    clairebeth wrote: »
    Really? I didn't realise this, we are currently remortgaging to First Direct and we upload our documents online etc and they have their current accounts online, so I just assumed the mortgage would be too. What a pain. Our first lender, Teacher's Building Society didn't have an online facility, had to phone up for the balance etc, v annoying!

The tone of the adviser I spoke to was "we get lots of requests and are getting a bit fed up of them" hopefully meaning they do something about it. Please add your surprised voice to the list once you get it arranged and can't see it online!
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lucky_Duck wrote: »
    I can see my HSBC mortgage balance, make over payments, check remaining over payment allowance, etc. using online banking.

So it's a policy more than something technical.

I certainly expected better of Britain's "best" bank -

http://www.which.co.uk/money/banking/bank-accounts/guides/best-and-worst-banks

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/best-high-street-bank-britain-9856886

I may have chosen a different mortgage if I knew this up front as the difference in interest rates and flexibility were pretty marginal.
  • jiggy2
    jiggy2 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have an offset mortgage with first direct and you can definitely see that online. Not sure if it is the same with repayment mortgages.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure