DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ok.....question about moving house whilst on a DMP. Has anybody every done that?
    Our mortgage does NOT form part of our DMP and we have never ever missed a payment in the 20 years we have had a mortgage.
    We desperately want to downsize to help save money....cheaper mortgage, council tax and heating bills. Also we are finding it hard to keep up with all the housework, gardening and decorating etc these days. the house is far too big for us now.
    We still have a mortgage of approx. 67,000 and think we could sell for approx 155,000 and looking to move to something around 140000 or less. So we would still need a mortgage...currently our mortgage is due to finish in about 7 years
    So.....what are the chances we could do this? I am imagining that we wouldn't stand a chance of getting a mortgage. Anybody any thoughts on it. ??
  • System
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

My new year's resolution is to visit this site everyday :) This site keeps me so focused on pushing down my debts. I haven't let the debt busting slip too much, but have to admit it's not been my main focus of late (family takes priority).

So day 1 of new year's resolution sorted. I've visited and said hello :wave:

I've also just prepared an updated I&E to send off to creditors before they start asking for one.

We've now cleared approx 52% of our debts - which feels amazing. Yes, we still have a big amount to clear - just over £45k. This will look massive to many, but to us it is just amazing. Three years ago we were heading towards being £100k in unsecured debts. I never dreamt we would be anywhere near our current balances just 3 short years later. And it really is 3 short years. Those years have just flown by.

Happy new year everyone :)

hi January

I am the same as you....decided to come back on here after being absent forever.....lol...and try and get things rolling a bit faster now. You have done so well....we have only gone from 57000 to 44000, but getting there slowly.
    I agree the 3 years has gone by very quickly. Not that I want to be wishing my life away....lol, but it is nice to be getting the debts down.
    Good luck x
  • Rebeccadougherty
    Options
    Hi all
    I hope someone sees this because I’m a bit worried and the past few things I’ve written I don’t think have been seen
    PRA group just phoned me at work!!! ( they were originally my Barclays debt) I said I didn’t want to speak on phone but she said she had to confirm details. They have all the same details Barclays had surely :( I don’t know how they have my work number because I don’t remember providing it. Thank you :(
  • Rebeccadougherty
    Options
    Sorry I should add they took over the debt shortly after Christmas (or before, my brain is fuzzy right now)
    They’re going to phone me back at 7 :/ she wouldn’t accept that I didn’t want to talk to them although she sounded polite enough.
    Another thing I want to ask- as I’m moving at some point and there’s no guarantee of a job straight away, I want to go self managed and pay minimal payments to my debts so I have more money to fall back on and so I can save to pay them off lowest first. Stepchange reluctantly gave me about 4 reduced payments last year but things get in the way you have to pay out for so my savings haven’t amounted to much still yet. I haven’t told my boyfriend yet.
    So is this a good idea, and how do you get about offering way less than you technically can? I earn 1,280 a month and give my boyfriend 460.00 for rent etc. I should have 267.01 after paying out everything. Surely creditors won’t accept that? I don’t get how everyone gets around it as you have to show a truthful list of what you earn etc.
    I’d appreciate any advice
    Thank you so much x
  • System
    Options
    Sorry I should add they took over the debt shortly after Christmas (or before, my brain is fuzzy right now)
    They’re going to phone me back at 7 :/ she wouldn’t accept that I didn’t want to talk to them although she sounded polite enough.
    Another thing I want to ask- as I’m moving at some point and there’s no guarantee of a job straight away, I want to go self managed and pay minimal payments to my debts so I have more money to fall back on and so I can save to pay them off lowest first. Stepchange reluctantly gave me about 4 reduced payments last year but things get in the way you have to pay out for so my savings haven’t amounted to much still yet. I haven’t told my boyfriend yet.
    So is this a good idea, and how do you get about offering way less than you technically can? I earn 1,280 a month and give my boyfriend 460.00 for rent etc. I should have 267.01 after paying out everything. Surely creditors won’t accept that? I don’t get how everyone gets around it as you have to show a truthful list of what you earn etc.
    I’d appreciate any advice
    Thank you so much x

Yes, you have to show what you earn, but how do they know how much all your outgoings are? You can say you need more for food than you really do etc. My husband pays 21 a month for a leisure centre contract to go swimming ...they don't need proof of that etc.
    You will be surprised what they accept. As a couple we bring home about 2000 a month, our debts are around 44000 at the moment, but we are only paying SC 285 a month and they are happy with that. We would pay more if we could, to speed things up a bit.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all
    I hope someone sees this because I’m a bit worried and the past few things I’ve written I don’t think have been seen
    PRA group just phoned me at work!!! ( they were originally my Barclays debt) I said I didn’t want to speak on phone but she said she had to confirm details. They have all the same details Barclays had surely :( I don’t know how they have my work number because I don’t remember providing it. Thank you :(

Don't panic. Write to PRA today and advise that you do not give them permission to contact you by telephone and that all communication must be in writing. Providing you keep in touch with them they have to adhere to this. If they don't you can complain - but from personal experience PRA are okay and they stopped making calls immediately we put this in writing.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    hi January

I am the same as you....decided to come back on here after being absent forever.....lol...and try and get things rolling a bit faster now. You have done so well....we have only gone from 57000 to 44000, but getting there slowly.
    I agree the 3 years has gone by very quickly. Not that I want to be wishing my life away....lol, but it is nice to be getting the debts down.
    Good luck x

Hello Ploppy

It's lovely to see my DMP twin on the forum :beer: I always remember we started our journey at practically the same time.

You have done amazingly well with reducing your balances. Don't put yourself down - think where you would be if you hadn't started that DMP 3 years ago ;) We have only done so well because we were fortunate to be able to cash in a couple of small pensions we had from yonks ago. That enabled us to settle a couple of debts, including one that had an iffy CCA. We've been very 'stuck' in the high £40k's for while and it gets a bit demoralising sometimes that the balance isn't going down. I know we are stuck for good reason (saving for F&Fs) and we will get that number down before the end of 2018 :j

Jan -x-
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • leanne12345
    Options
    Hi all

PRA took over my Barclaycard debt shortly before Christmas aswell. When they phoned me I did give them my details to confirm it was me as I had received a letter from them so I was expecting their call. When he said he was phoning about my debt I just said I've received their letter but I'm not willing to discuss anything by phone, I asked them to remove my number and told them I will respond to their letter. The man said that was fine and they haven't called back since. Just be clear that you won't be discussing it on the phone and don't answer any of their questions- ask them to send a letter if thry haven't already done so. Then block their number.
  • kram
    kram Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I had a voicemail from PRA today asking me to call them, so I called them & they started wanting to confirm this that & the other so I just told them that I don't give out personal info on the phone & said I wanted all my phone no's to be removed & to only be contacted in writing which they said they would do?
    If I have anymore calls I will just block them.
  • Rebeccadougherty
    Options
    Thank you to everyone to replied.
    Another question sorry... I’ve seen people have been doing token amounts for over a year. This is with step change? I had to fight to have two reduced payments. How do you get stepchange to agree to this? Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure