*sigh* this may take a while

Options

Comments

• ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    That's interesting, it could definitely be a factor. A few of my friends have said their eldest children are their most frivolous.
    The area we live definitely doesn't help, a lot of her friends have high earning parents. They also had their children later and most stopped at 1 or 2 children. Whereas I've just turned 40 many of her friends have parents in their late 40s. early 50s; 2 full time incomes, no childcare costs.
    I've tried explaining the differences, but she's all 'well you should have stopped at 2' or 'why don't you work full time'. Neither goes down well with me!
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did once have a detailed conversation with DD1 and DD2 (DD1 is oldest DD2 is third) with DD2 strongly advocating stopping at 2 and DD1 quietly wetting herself with laughter
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Haha! Last time she said it, I told her if I had only planned on having 2, I'd have started later and she wouldn't exist.

In other news, I've applied for a new job. Same hospital, slight promotion, would entail more training which would lead to a bigger promotion. I'm ambiguous about it; I'd have to work 3 days at the hospital instead of the 2 I do at the moment... but the salary increase means I could drop my other 2 jobs, meaning more free time overall. On the other hand, the work would be harder and I'm unconvinced whether radiography is still for me. Will be interesting to see how it plays out....
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Not much happening, spending more mindfully and making small changes.

I've noticed things like kids parties, I used to spend at least £10, but actually quite easy to halve that and still get a decent kid's gift. Between the 5 of them, they probably go to 4-5 parties a month, so that's £25 saved.

My phone is up for renewal and usually I would just upgrade to the latest apple. This time, my phone is in good nick and I've gone for a SIM only deal. The battery isn't great on my phone, but even if I keep it a year, it'll save me about £350.

I'm looking forward to payday, feeling pretty skint and also want to update my signature with the first lot of payments :-)
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    great work. i'm sure I sure something about being able to replace apple iphone batteries for £25 which should extent the phone's usable life
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Good tip, I'll look into it thanks.

Another 1lb lost this week, so that's 4 in total now. Think that may be my last free pass and I'll actually have to make some effort for the next 10!

I went for a decent walk today, I have National Trust membership - they are fab if you have a large family as you don't get hammered for anything over 2 kids! So I went to a local one with a friend and we had a walk and a natter. I had a gift voucher too, so free hot chocolate and cake, yum.
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Husband had an eye test and needs glasses for reading, only ones he liked were £100, gah. Had a run of money demands for school activities and trips this week, they totalled £42.

I've been doing some babysitting in recent weeks, which has been a nice little extra. Most of it has now gone on the items above!

I registered as a childminder last year and haven't actually used it. I'm debating setting up properly to do it... where I live, childminders can charge £6 per hour and as my youngest starts school in September, I could earn well. I need to decide if I'm definitely finished with radiography first though.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    I make the most of NT membership, works out well with lots of children!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Husband and I have decided to do a belated dry January, starting on 28th and running until end of February. I'm actually dreading it and that's one of the reasons I need to do it... I've got into a habit of a drink or two most evenings to unwind. Lovely as they are, children are relentless and when the little ones are settled at 7.30, a glass of wine is my reward. I have no doubt I can do it (I've given up alcohol for each of my 5 pregnancies), but still *sigh*. Hopefully, the month of booze will help me with my weight goals... and maybe money ones too!

I am very much looking forward to pay day tomorrow, we pay our direct debits on 1st, so I won't update my totals until then, but it will be nice to have a bit of money in the bank! I already know we won't be overpaying cards this month; Christmas expenditure is sitting on a card and my tax return payment will go out. My main aim this month is to keep to budget and carry on with spending diary and mindful spending.
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    Quiet few days, settling back into work (still as horrible as I'd remembered), they made no allowances for the fact I've been off for 3 weeks after dislocating my knee.... I had full lists and no breaks, knee was very swollen by the end of each day. Sick of being treated so crappily.

Been doing some decorating today, we had all the stuff in already, so no cost implications. It's nice to be getting little bits done.

My 6 year old went to a party and I had spare gifts left over from last year too, so no cost there too.
    Eldest wanted to go into town and asked for money for lunch and cinema... I suggested she went in after lunch and then her and her friend come back here for the family roast and they watch a film here instead. She liked the idea and it saved me £20, although I ended up giving them a lift into town - doh.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback