Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 4th Apr 07, 4:08 PM
    • 8,116Posts
    • 42,310Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    Great 'supermarket staff tell us your reduction policies' hunt
    • 4th Apr 07, 4:08 PM
    0 WOW
    Great 'supermarket staff tell us your reduction policies' hunt 4th Apr 07 at 4:08 PM
    UPDATE NOTE: The info from this discussion has now been collated and is part of the full "How to cut the cost of supermarket shopping article"

The very best supermarket reductions are on fresh goods that are going out of date, but what’s the best time to grab these bargains?

I’d like any MoneySavers who work or have worked at any of the big supermarkets to dish the dirt on stores’ official reduction policies. This way we’ll be able to spot patterns and figure out the best times to get down to the reduced aisle.

Please let me know:
    • Which supermarket do you work for/did you work for?
    • What times of day do you reduce prices?
    • How big are the discounts? (If the computer does it automatically, do a rough estimate)
    • What time is the final, final reduction (to 10p-ish)?
    • Who has the authority to reduce prices?
    • If a customer asked you to reduce something because it’s on it’s sell-by date are you allowed to?
    • Does it vary if it’s a 24-hour store?
    • And any other useful tips …
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 07-12-2007 at 11:24 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 3
    • Lugh_Chronain
    • By Lugh_Chronain 11th Apr 07, 4:44 PM
    • 6,777 Posts
    • 15,139 Thanks
    Lugh_Chronain
    I found that when I shopped at ASDA (the Kingston-Upon-Thames store) and they didnít have what you want, if the item is sold out, they would kindly give you an alternative brand at a greatly reduced price. I manage to get Mornflake Porridge for 6p once. So donít be afraid or hesitate to ask the shop assistant if you canít find what you want. It does depend on who you ask though.
    Last edited by Lugh_Chronain; 11-04-2007 at 4:48 PM.
    • ellybelly89
    • By ellybelly89 11th Apr 07, 4:58 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    ellybelly89
    [QUOTE=full-time-mum;4856329]Morrisions reduced some pots of daffodils when I asked - they were yellowish...[QUOTE]

lmao yellow daffodils! whatever next? orange oranges?

i'm only joking full time mum. it sounded funny!
    Last edited by ellybelly89; 11-04-2007 at 5:07 PM.
    • ellybelly89
    • By ellybelly89 11th Apr 07, 5:03 PM
    • 1,020 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    ellybelly89
    Hi, I work in M&S (although in Womenswear not Food). M&S don't reduce going out of date food for the customers. Instead the staff get the chance to buy any that hasn't sold at the end of the day at 50% off (most items) or 75% off (bakery and meat products and possibly some other things I'm not sure) and sometimes there are offers for the staff such as pay for one sandwich, take 4 depending on how many going out of date items of a particular kind there are! One of the perks of working at M&S !
    Originally posted by theluckiswithme

my mate works for M&S and their old manager gave them £1 bags at the end of the day. It was a lucky dip what you got. She got expensive lobster once with loads of other stuff all for £1!
    • Sami_Bee
    • By Sami_Bee 11th Apr 07, 5:15 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 50,566 Thanks
    Sami_Bee
    I grabbed some great bargains at my local Tesco on Saturday as they were closed sun and mon for easter I got lots of stuff that had 3 days left the best being some Camembert cheese for 20p and BB date of Wednesday because the display until date was 2 days before the BB date! It was about 2pm and they were adding to the reduced shelf while I was browsing/avoiding fellow bargain hunters that were a bit too eager to get them!
    something to consider as may bank holiday approaches
    • madmurphy3
    • By madmurphy3 11th Apr 07, 5:56 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    madmurphy3
    i currently work at tesco in york final reductions are carried out at 7pm each day for pre-packaged goods which are going out of date that day. counters (deli, fish & meat) have their own policy and will reduce stuff when it needs to be. saturadays at 7 they again reduce all damaged stock to silly prices to sell it before stock control counts on a sunday
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 11th Apr 07, 6:01 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    I work part time on Morrisons produce (fruit and veg) for a bit of extra money.

- Refridgerated lines (prepared salads and prepared vegetables) are supposed to be reduced by 25% at closing time the night before they are on their use by date. This doesn't always happen but it usually gets done in the morning. If the goods are not sold by early evening time we usually reduce further.

- Every evening someone does an audit of the department looking for stuff with best before/use by/display until the next days date. Throughout the next day these items are either reduced on the fixture (not supposed to but we do) removed and placed on the selected seconds (reduction) table at a reduced price or repackaged and place on the seconds table at a reduced price. Therefore if you find something on the fixture not reduced that has display until todays date on it, by all means ask for it to be reduced and we usually do (unless the customer is rude/unfriendly) we are supposed to reduce by 25% and no more but if the condition is a bit ropey or it is something that is a silly price to start with like organic and 'The Best' lines we usually reduce more. Look out on the selected seconds table for anything that is in a 'selected seconds' bag or re-wrapped in either a plastic clear tray or a green flat carboard tray. These have been repackaged by us in store and because we repackage and re-label them the seconds label can say less than the original price, then when we reduce the 25% limit kind of doesn't apply. We can't reduce more than 25% or the HHT (reduction handset) says value below user limit, however if we bag up £3 worth of stock and put a selected seconds 20p label on it (extreme example but I've seen it done to get rid of stuff) we can then reduce it by scanning the seconds label and reducing to 15p.

- Official reductions (doing it by the book and not the seconds procedure above) are limited to 25% for staff (including department managers and supervisors) if you want a bigger reduction you need to go to an ADM (assistant deputy manager) DM (deputy manager) or GM (store general manager)

- If you find any loose fruit and vegetables that do not look in perfect condition (that you wouldn't pay full price for) they don't need to look inedible just imperfect, ask for them to be reduced. If the member of staff says no as they will sell look if it says class 1 on the product then point out it is actually illegal to leave it on sale and trading standards would have them for it, go to a senior over that if necessary, they are more likely to care about legalities, that goes for prepack as well if the condition isn't perfect but it is in date.

*** LINES TO BEWARE OF ***

Garlic - it is put on a stand in stupid baskets, very badly designed as the staff nearly always lob the new stock over the top of the stand and it drops into each basket burying the old, it also often gets overlooked on the audit as it comes in with a month or so date. Check the date on any you pick up to make sure it is in date. If you have a dig in the bottom of each basket you might find some out of date (the dates are stupid, it is fine unless it is sprouting and splitting, go by condition) if you find any ask for it to be reduced.

Coconuts - kept in a dump bin (metal bin used to display stuff) again stock rotation is poor since it has a long life. Dig to the bottom and see if any are out of date. If they are there is nothing wrong with them unless they are split/cracked or weeping milk. Ask for reductions.

Whole melons - apart from honeydews they all have a display until date, if they say 'display until' and there is no date they have been cowboyed, we get replacement labels sent in as they don't stick to the melons skin very well. They get used on out of date melons as well. Whole honeydews are dated using the flower code system (look at a bunch of flowers and you will see a code like 09/2) the first number (09) is the number of weeks since the annual stock take that the item was delivered and the second number (02) is the day of the week so 02 is Tuesday. You can work out what this week's week number is by looking at flowers (beginning of the week you will see the end of the week before and the beginning of this week, end of the week you will see all this week as they are reduced after they have been in store 4 days, at first by 25% and more depending on condition) that will tell you the age of your honeydew, if there is an old one there (there may well be as it is not a display until date but there to tell us how old the product is) ask for a reduction.

Loose mushrooms - if you are in at the start of the day and any loose mushrooms are there that don't look as though they are that days THEY SHOULDN'T BE THERE the brief is they are all removed and selected seconds procedure used at night on all loose mushrooms, ask for a reduction and you will get it, they don't tend to be that bad just a bit dry/wrinkled, cooked they are fine.

If you find any split prepack stuff (don't do it yourself, that is fraud, plus we get enough of it anyway that you don't need to) or with 1 item damaged/bad condition in it ask for it reduced, we can rewrap stuff with the bad taken out and we can repackage split stuff. Potato bins (brown bunkers of potatoes at the back end of the department near bakery) nearly always have split bags in if you look for them.

Loose tomatoes - look for very ripe ones there usually are some and we will reduce them.

Loose apples - look for imperfect condition, again point out the legal issue with trading standards as they advertised as class one when asking for a reduction if you are refused.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
  • black-saturn
    I've found that tescos seem to reduce stuff at about 4ish. I went there on saturday at about 4 and because it was going to be closed on easter sunday I got loads of bargains. So I would figure that going the evening before a bank holiday would be a good idea if you were looking for reduced stuff.
  • Plushchris
    I don't normally do fresh cakes at more than 15%...seems as soon as you slap a yellow label on, they are no longer bad for you and fly out
    Originally posted by Constantine

LOL

I remember trying to convince my OH that a reduced large carrot cake makes up at least one of my five a day.

She wasnt having any of it though! :rolleyes:
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently!
  • Constantine
    LOL

I remember trying to convince my OH that a reduced large carrot cake makes up at least one of my five a day.

She wasnt having any of it though! :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Plushchris
    I always have a bottle of wine as one of mine
    Who or what was I before you came in to my life
    I am not sure
  • chris1982
    Which supermarket do you work for/did you work for? sainsburys

What times of day do you reduce prices? after 5pm this was when things are normally handed over to students in the smaller to mid size stores who shut the bakery and fresh goods departments down for the night

How big are the discounts? (If the computer does it automatically, do a rough estimate) 25% to start then down to as cheap as a hour/hour and a half before the store closes. We use to get in trouble from the morning shift if stuff was still there in the morning

What time is the final, final reduction (to 10p-ish)? 7:30-8:30

Who has the authority to reduce prices?the employee charged with closing the section down for the night or the duty managed could on his discrection
    If a customer asked you to reduce something because itís on itís sell-by date are you allowed to? we'd normally refer it to the duty manager

Does it vary if itís a 24-hour store? never worked in one so dont know
    And any other useful tips Ö

never go and ask them to reduce it they probably wont or say that the duty manager has to or they dont have any reduction labels

dont hoover around like a vulture ready to pick a carcass clean when you see someone with a ream of reduction labels

also dont ask to reduce it further they'll think your being tight!
  • The_Don
    Which supermarket do you work for/did you work for?
    I used to work for ICELAND.
    What times of day do you reduce prices?
    Itmes which will be going out of date the next day will start to be reduced the evening before but only by about 20p. Items that are going out of date on that date will be reduced throughout the day. For example, if an item was reduced in the morning, it will be reduced again at lunchtime and again in the afternoon. The final reduction will be done half an hour before closing.
    How big are the discounts?
    Depends on the member of staff. It is usually 10% the day before, then a further 20% the next day and then silly prices before the last half an hour of the day.
    What time is the final, final reduction (to 10p-ish)? Around 5:30pm.
    Who has the authority to reduce prices? Members of staff, usually with reducing stickers.
    If a customer asked you to reduce something because itís on itís sell-by date are you allowed to? Yes but not by too much.
    Does it vary if itís a 24-hour store? NA
    And any other useful tips Ö
    Get there quick as staff tend to grab stuff or ask each other to reduce things down even lower.
    Originally posted by Baby_J
    ICELAND
    I work for iceland and they have just rolled out a new reducing policy where only fresh meat and poulty and damage stock is reduced which is to half the original price, anything else is kept on sale until the end of the day that it goes out of date then put in shrinkage (waste). This is meant to save money, making more profits for iceland. dont see how though, we've wasted lots of stock since this change in policy.
    • spudfish
    • By spudfish 11th Apr 07, 7:49 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    spudfish
    this might get quite a long post, i was a major bargain hunter when i worked at ASDA until late 2006.

I was at a liverpool one, but i think the system is similar everywhere.

Fresh meat, milk, processed foods (eg cheese, processed meat, non frozen ready meals).Markdowns are usually taken off the shelves the night before their expiry date (so 9th will come off on the night of the 8th), however, during seasonal times, eg xmas and easter, they have massive build-ups of stock, and will reduce stuff a few days in advance.
    Markdown times.
    generally, the first markdown takes place around or before 9.30-12 midday. this is about 1/3 off i think.
    the second markdown, depending on the amount left in the markdown fridge, is 6pm. i think its about half the marked-down price. this is the most popular time for markings down, anything marked down before 6pm wont go down as much, as the system doesnt allow it.
    third markdown, if neccessary. WARNING - usually just crap left at this time! 9pm. However! it all goes down to 10p, so if you have pets, come at this time for cheap meat for treats etc.

Bread (brought in - hovis etc)
    usually, we would take off bread on the morning. the tag you see has two dates generally. and a figure in brackets, eg (7). so if you see on the 3rd that bread marked 10th (7) is reduced, this is because it has to be taken off 7 days before the marked date. so it should still be fresh for another 7 days!
    Markdown times.
    for some reason, it was 2pm at our shop (the excuse was it wouldnt go on the system before this time).
    i think its a 1/3 off again. depending on how much there is, it will get knocked down again around 5-6pm, and at 8pm to 10p etc.
    bread doesnt tend to sell so quickly when its reduced, as people think it will go off soon.
    But you generally should get at least two days use. more than enough time in a house of three or more.

Frozen Goods
    its rare for frozen goods to be reduced, because once defrosted, its illegal to sell it, and they have very long dates, so they tend to sell.

other stuff.
    BOGOF offers are generally cancelled when reduced, one story i recall from my time in Sainbury's before they changed the policy was a guy who came to the till with loads of bogof offer stuff that was reduced, and the shop ended up owing HIM ten quid. so he got a bottle of whiskey free. Supermarkets are good at spotting loopholes alas.

new lines.
    new lines usually sell pathetically. Go Cook, a whole range of semi-prepaired fresh foods (unfreezable) were introduced in asda ages ago. the food was fantastic, but stupidly expsenive, so none of it sold. until it was reduced from £9 to 20p. and it is gorgeous food! so dont be scared to try new things.

Meat Health.
    Grey/green/brown meat that should not be that colour (to check, look at the stuff that isnt reduced) is not a good purchase. if unsure, dont bother!

When looking for stuff that will last a few days, dont forget that its every supermarket's policy (and law) to put stuff with expiry dates further away towards the back, and the stuff that will go off sooner to the first.

and finally (until i remember something else)
    staff at my place used to HATE marking stuff down (apart from me, because i did my shopping as i marked down, ah the joys of the pricing gun!).
    Why?
    Because a million annoying, often scabby, usually insane people would bug us when we were trying to mark things down. we have other things to do. please let us do our job and go. we'll get to that product in your hand in a minute. stick it under my nose and you will only succeed in annoying me further. please dont complain when i dont knock it down to a penny at midday. and dont throw it under my nose again for a new price.

sorry about that!

happy bargain hunting. any other questions about the big A, just ask
  • KatKatDan
    Disgruntled ex Tesco worker and temp. Sainsburys worker
    I worked for Tesco for three years and am glad to be rid of them but that's not what this post is about.... I also spent a short amount of time doing a temp. job at Sainsbury's.

At Tesco the night before people are supposed to go round and scan stock so that a list is produced to give an idea of items going out of date soon. The reduction of prices would start mid morning and during Monday - Thursday would be up to a maximum of 30%. On Friday - Sunday the maximum would be about 15%. At Sainsburys they have people called Code controllers whose sole aim in life is to go round reducing items so whatever time they start their shift is when they would start reductions. Tesco are more likely to have a specific area where reductions are put, but Sainsburys will mix them in with the usual items on the shelf so you will need to have a bit of a 'dig'.

The final reductions are normally about 9pm at Tesco as night staff do not do any reductions - they have far too much to do as it is and generally work harder than day staff. Yes I have done both so I can legitimately say that!

At Tesco anyone who has a log in for the hand held devices that are used can do reductions. At Sainsburys it is the Code controllers.

Yes you can do reductions if a customer asks, but only if you have a log in or if there are any spare machines. Tesco seemed to have an amazing knack at never having enough machines to do reductions with. Also any that were there were always being used by the stock controllers for their 'counts'... mmm handly that... no machines left to do reductions for customers..... I wonder what effect that has on the profits.....!?

It doesn't vary in a 24 hour store because night staff do not do any reductions. They won't have log ins and in my experience probably wouldn't even know where the machines were kept in order to do it.

Any useful tips...
    At Christmas and Easter time (especially Christmas) there is so much stock delivered that it is usually not possible to move in the fridges in the warehouse. The night staff are supposed to work all items in the backup before then doing the new delivery. However this is impossible so have a dig around at the back of the fresh food fridges and see what you can find. You will probably find out of date items as well as the general practice is to stuff the shelves so full that it is not possible to rotate all the stock.

Alot of stock never gets onto the shelves as it goes out of date in the warehouse fridges so lobby your local stores to stop being so wasteful with a resource that can be quite expensive. A lot of Tesco managers are quite arrogant but also fairly incompetent so if you go in knowing your facts and challenge them in a polite way they may well be forced to back down. The most important thing is don't accept the rubbish that pours out of their mouths...

Happy shopping....
    KatKatDan
  • lexy_n
    George
    Hi! I work in the George Clothing department in Asda. We have reductions every Tuesday which in theory are activated on the computer system from midnight. Usually the colleagues on the first shift of the day will begin to put sale tickets on the items but they should go through the tills at the sale price even without them.
  • ptyks
    [QUOTE=crazy_guy;4851135]
    [FONT=Verdana]

=[*]And any other useful tips Ö[/LIST]Wait till an hour or so before the closure of the store, everything will be reduced to 10p - as another poster mentioned, be nice! People who were geniunely nice i wacked the price right down (within reason of course)..... if you demand a reduction...forget it. But don't be cheeky, no were not going to reduce something down to 10p at the start of the day, there are checks in place to make sure we are not abusing the system. Oh and remember its only a bargain if you will be using it, great for things like meat for freezing, but many people grabbed some things in quantity which they'd never use.
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    I confirmed from my shopping experience that this tip works with Sainsbury's reduced items and Somerfield. But not Coop and Tesco.

Another tip is if you buy the so-cheap reduced items with multibuy, don't forget to add other normal items to your shopping. Because the till can show you minus in pounds (like it owes you). Then the checkout staff has to call his/her supervisor about this. Hope you don't want to draw attention on your good bargain shopping.
    • newfoundglory
    • By newfoundglory 11th Apr 07, 10:25 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    newfoundglory
    I used to work for M&S when I was in the middle of my Uni course... thats a few years ago now. At the time, we would (depending on store closing time), mark down all display until items by 50%. This was a manual process, with no automation involved. All cashiers would have to manually key the reduced value at the tills. This of course has all changed now.

At the time all display until items were removed from sale, only some of these would be marked down and put back out (if there were a lot of one thing for example). The best items, would of course be kept back by us... so the staff of the store could enjoy a 50-75% reduction on the best products.

I must have lived off M&S ready meals for a good 4 months or so!

The quality of M&S food, being so good, waste would always last 4 or 5 or so days past "expiry" anyway unlike other supermarkets!

The staff waste policy at the time was always dependent on the store manager, who had complete decision - but it was always very good, and in favour of the staff and not customers.

I remember getting a £20 bunch of M&S flowers for 50p. Section managers would sometimes randomly hand out or offer free bottles of wine or chocolates at the end of the day as thanks for good work, and mark them out in the system as "tastings". I think one month we'd used something like £150 worth of "tastings", which raised some eyebrows in the store office. Haha.

I'd conclude that with M&S you'd do better as staff rather than a customer.
    Last edited by newfoundglory; 11-04-2007 at 10:54 PM.
    • bungee316
    • By bungee316 12th Apr 07, 12:33 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bungee316
    I was a department manager for 10 years first in safeway, then in somerfield, then in morrisons, then back to somerfield then Sainsbury's. Recently left to be a driving instructor.

Reduction policies are essentially the same across all the companies i have worked in. Fresh foods are cheked every day with the longer life stuff eg butter, cheese etc perhaps once or twice a week. Grocery items ie not fresh gets checked on a cycle dependant on its shelf-life.

What this means then is that some items will be reduced by a little a long time in advance of their expiration ie the ones with a longer time between checks and others will be left until much nearer their expiration date.

Looking first at the grocery items. Say for example their is one tin of beans going out of date in a month. That would probably be left on the shelf until a day or two before it goes out of code as the likelyhood is it will sell on its own. If there is a shelf full of beans that are a poor seller they may be reduced by something like 25% a month or so in advance of their shelf life ending. It is then very much the volume that remains that dictates further reductions. If after a fortnight there is still the same amount then they may drop the price down to 50%. If that does not shift them it will probably drop further a week in advance of the expiration date.

* TIP - As these grocery (non fresh) items tend to expire at the end of the month (eg tin will read exp jun 08) the big final reductions will likely be made on the last couple of days each month. How much this will be will depend on the volume of the product on shelf and how quickly the product can normally be shifted.

Moving on to fresh, most stores check the majority of fresh foods 100% every day. Some leave more time between the much longer life fresh foods checks and simply record, in a book everythign going out of code between teh date of the initail check and the date of teh next (simply so tehy only need to check those items and not the entire section). Due to the nature of these products ie butterm cheese, juice etc they tend to re reduced in price about 3 days to a week in advance of their expiration date. Like the grocery items how far in advance will be dictated by the volume on shelf and the normal ability to shift the product. Since these items generally cannot be eaten in one day the price will come down more, longer in advance of the expiration date than other fresh food items. However, depedning on the common sense of the worker doing the reductions they may do the initial 25% or whatever a week in advance then leave it till the last day before reducting any further. If with say an hour till close of trade on the final day of the products life there is still some stock remaining, this is when the 75% - 90% reductions occur.

With the shorter life fresh foods eg, ready meals, cooked meat etc. Stores normally check these lines every day and the day before their expiration date start reductions by 25% - 33%. On the day they are due to expire the price will come down gradually during the day until nearer the close of trade when they will be put down to silly prices.

* TIP - If you ask a worker to reduce something, you will only annoy them. They will not want to do it for you and may think up a lie just to annoy, so dont ask. Technically if you ask them to do it and they do, they could be fired, I HAVE seen it happen.

* TIP - A lot of stores will particularly Morrisons will have computers that only allow certain mambers of staff to reduce beyong a certain value (ie the higher up the pay grade the lower the price). General staff will only be allowed to reduce 25%, department managers up to 50% and Deputy Managers (the ones who wear their own clothes anything below 50%

* TIP - In any supermarket the best time to get the best prices is undoubtedly with the last couple of hours before store close, if its within 2 hours to close and things going out of date that day are only 50% they WILL go down more - but remember DONT ASK

* TIP - in store produced goods tend to go the lowest eg in-store bakery items could go down to pennies.

* TIP - Days before store closure eg bank holiday/christmas/new year is always the best time to get the most stuff cheap, simply because they must clear everything for that day, the day they are closed and will likely have reductions for the first day of opening.

* TIP - most stores will have a dedicated reduced to clear section. However shop around and you will see a lot of prodcuts will be reduced for the next day or the coming days and left in their normal position. These will obviously have better code life but will tend not to be reduced any further until nearer their expiration date.

* TIP - Stores rotate stock so ALWAYS take from the back of the shelf.

* TIP - Just because it is reduced in price does not mean it is lower quality. It will simply have been lying on a shelf *chilled* for longer.

* TIP - Like the DONT ASK tip, DONT RUMMAGE, find something short coded and point it out so it can be reduced. Staff like me will simply answer, yeah that gets done later, then wait till you leave and reduce it then. Might sound bad, but asking really really really annoys staff.

* TIP if you MUST ask someone, ask the guys not wearing a uniform that look important - a good one to look for is the one wearing the badge saying Store Manager. These guys deserve to be annoyed and willbend over backwards for you. Likelyhood is they will take one look at a product and answer "certainly sir/madam, i'll just get one of my colleagues to take care of it for you" then to keep you happy reduce it even if they are not meant to. Lower pay grades dont care and will try and get rid of you. Not their fault just the way it is.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 12-04-2007 at 11:46 AM.
  • WhiteHorse
    I used to work for Tesco.

On one occasion, some bright spark at head office arranged for dozens of whole fresh salmon. Of course, there were too many to be sold.

We were however only allowed to make modest reductions on a small number. The rest were simply tossed in a skip. Watching so much food (which had been killed as well) being thrown away, some staff became extremely upset.
    • Dotdot
    • By Dotdot 12th Apr 07, 7:09 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Dotdot
    Cheap bags of rolls and cakes
    The nice lady in my local NETTO store has big bags of loose rolls and bakers cakes reduced T about 2pm in the afternoon!
  • Becki-Boo
    I moonlight in ASDA part time (2nd job to beat debt and fully utilise my 10% discount card)
    I am a big 'Woops' shopper so have gone out of my way to find out that the bread is marked down between 1700 and 1900 and the meat is marked down twice a day. Once around midday and once again between 0800 and 2100 depending on how busy the store is. The discounts of meat and ready made go cook range meals are huge at the 1800 - 2100 mark down. I have managed to pick up over £100 of joints, fish, mince meat etc for under £20.00. This depends on the sell by date. if not sold by midnight is it removed from shelves and binned. The price marked down is up to the person doing it, so be nice ;-)
    If a customer asked you to reduce something because itís on itís sell-by date are you allowed to? Yep, why not - they have the power
    Does it vary if itís a 24-hour store? Yep, although they mostly stick to the times but are not restricted as much as non 24hr stores
    And any other useful tips ÖDon't be afraid to get stuck in there, it can be a bit of a grab all you like at times
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,037Posts Today

7,591Users online

Martin's Twitter