Birmingham International not a Birmingham Station?

Options
Since when? I frequently buy Birmingham Stations when traveling to or Via Birmingham International.
Before Saturday I've never had a ticket barrier refuse this or a member of staff who now say that Birmingham Stations only applies to New St, Moor St and Snow Hill. So I was forced to purchase a return for New St - International. (TFW only ticket 10p cheaper than Avanti).
On the return I needed to change via a ticket barrier between platforms again ticket valid but not working the barriers, this made me think whether this is an issue with my phone and so that was the issue at Birmingham International & not an incorrect ticket.

Also why only allow the out portion work a barrier once?
After buying a paper ticket from the machine I went through to look for a toilet, they were on the station side so had to go back through the barriers then needed to use the out part again to exit the barrier didn't work so I needed to find the same member of staff( Not easy when they now wear dark blue instead of the noticeable red) to open it again.
This is a problem with the railways, the staff are always right there is little a passenger can do if they need to leave a station even if they have a valid ticket that staff/barriers do not understand.

Comments

• bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Birmingham Stations has been New Street, Moor Street and Snow Hill only for a very long time.

Birmingham International is at the NEC which about 12 miles outside central Birmingham.
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    bap98189 wrote: »
    Birmingham Stations has been New Street, Moor Street and Snow Hill only for a very long time.

Birmingham International is at the NEC which about 12 miles outside central Birmingham.

And in Solihull. :D

(Try telling those in south Solihull, the posh bit, that they live in Birmingham :rotfl:)
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    City stations are generally the ones in the City Centres
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm sure I read something like this recently about what Manchester Stations includes... It might well be the case that the station/company/website selling the ticket doesn't make it clear and if you're not local (or a regular) you wouldn't think to check.

The confusion is also because Birmingham International station is named for the Airport it serves rather than the city.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • jbuchanangb
    Options
    A ticket to Birmingham Stations from the south on a train towards Birmingham New Street would be valid for break of journey at Birmingham International, and likewise to travel towards the south it would be valid to start short from Birmingham International.

A ticket to Birmingham Stations from the north involving a journey leg from New Street to International runs out at New Street, so an additional ticket is needed.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I'm sure I read something like this recently about what Manchester Stations includes... It might well be the case that the station/company/website selling the ticket doesn't make it clear and if you're not local (or a regular) you wouldn't think to check.

The confusion is also because Birmingham International station is named for the Airport it serves rather than the city.

"Manchester Stations" are Piccadilly, Oxford Road, Victoria and Deansgate.
  • Mids_Costcutter
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »

Approaching Birmingham International Station, I've been asked countless times over the years "is this the city centre?" It should be renamed Birmingham Airport.
  • amberhen49
    Options
    Approaching Birmingham International Station, I've been asked countless times over the years "is this the city centre?" It should be renamed Birmingham Airport.

I thought they had plans a few years ago now to rename it. Obviously it never happened for whatever reason.
  • marmite1979
    Options
    How about ''I'ts not in Birmingham, Birmingham Airport Station''
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It should be renamed Birmingham Airport.
    How about ''I'ts not in Birmingham, Birmingham Airport Station''

They've dropped the "international" from the airport, in 2010 I think but not the station.

They could always rename the airport back to Elmdon, then you can choose to have the station Elmdon, or Bickenhill which is slightly closer.

But I suppose for international travellers wanting to fly into Birmingham, that could cause some confusion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure