Anadin Extra pain relief

Options
Hi everyone,

This is regarding generic medicine/supermarket own brand equivalents

Recently I have unable to buy Anadin extra pain relief caplet equivalents that were sold at Asda, Tesco and Wilko for about 50p per pack.

Does anyone have any idea if they have been discontinued? I relied on these tablets as they were the only thing that would help with migraines. I'm hoping they haven't been discontinued permanently :(

Comments

• dk2401
    dk2401 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    These combination analgesic products have been discontinued I'm afraid, and it's the same story in the US apparently.
    No one seems to know why though...?
  • smudge56
    Options
    2 aspirin and 1 paracetamol does the same thing (without the added caffeine)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    own-brand aspirin, own-brand paracetamol, and drink a mug of coffee. The fact that it's not in one swallow shouldn't make a difference.

(Always read the label, etc.)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Health & Beauty’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Shovel_Lad
    Shovel_Lad Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Do you mean tablets with aspirin/paracetamol/caffeine?
    I couldn't find any in the shops for a few weeks but they seem to be back. Wilko are showing them on their website:

http://www.wilko.com/pain-relief/wilko-extra-power-pain-control-tablets-x-16/invt/0220216

I got some from Morrison's a few weeks ago after not being able to find any anywhere for a while (think they cost 55p a packet) but I can't find them on their website today.

They are more expensive as you know but Asda have Anadin caplets (same active ingredients) on their website.
    Sainsburys
    Tesco
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP you can get the tablets in separate parts as others have suggested, or if your concerned about getting it right, try taking the box to a pharmacist and asking if they have anything the same they can give you and they'll sort it for you.
  • spitthedog
    Options
    Thanks, I'll keep my eye out if they re-appear otherwise I will try your suggestions
  • spitthedog
    Options
    Shovel_Lad wrote: »
    Do you mean tablets with aspirin/paracetamol/caffeine?
    I couldn't find any in the shops for a few weeks but they seem to be back. Wilko are showing them on their website: [Link removed due to new user restrictions]

I got some from Morrison's a few weeks ago after not being able to find any anywhere for a while (think they cost 55p a packet) but I can't find them on their website today.

They are more expensive as you know but Asda have [Link removed due to new user restrictions]

Yes it's these, they consist of

Paracetamol 200mg
    Asprin 300mg
    Caffeine, 45mg

A winning combination :)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    spitthedog wrote: »
    Yes it's these, they consist of

Paracetamol 200mg
    Asprin 300mg
    Caffeine, 45mg

A winning combination :)

BTW, that's the sort of caffeine you'd find in a can of Pepsi Max (I think normal Pepsi or Coke-a-Cola, Diet Coke has around 30mg and so a 500ml bottle of either would also be around the 45mg mark. Coffee has anywhere from 50mg to 250mg per cup depending on how it's made and how much you have).
    If you then took the paracetamol and asprin pills with the can you'd be taking the same meds but just slightly differently.
  • barbiedoll
    barbiedoll Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy paracetamol with caffeine, which is still available everywhere, and I buy 300mg soluble aspirin as well.

Works well if you don't drink coffee or cola etc.
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport