Discharged. New landline wanted.

Options
I am currently paying through the nose for BT to provide me with my landline and broadband. I tried to change to someone cheaper a while back but I was turned down. I have been discharged, and my credit records are as clean as they are going to get, although I did just get my first credit builder credit card agreed. (To be used for a tank of petrol and paid off in full each month.)

Should I wait for a few months so that the new CC has time to show up on my credit record before I try to switch to a cheaper phone deal?
Does anyone have recommendations about landline companies that will accept a recently discharged bankrupt?
Save £12k in 2024 #29
January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi KeepOnKnitting

Any application involving a credit check is very likely to be affected by the bankruptcy unfortunately. The bankruptcy is going to be on your credit file for 6 years, and although a credit builder credit card may help, you could struggle to find a new service supplier.

I’m not aware of which companies may be more likely to accept you, perhaps some other board members have had experience of this and could offer you advice? Alternatively is there another adult in the household who can have the service put in their name? I hope you find a solution.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    When I wanted to change energy providers they asked for £300 deposit to be returned after 6 months if account run properly
    I know you are looking at different services but the same may apply
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I moved house and went with Virgin shortly after BR and there were no issues. Its possible though that my credit file had not been updated at the point I applied?
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    Thanks for the responses all. There is no-one else in the house that could take out a contract. I have been back to check and I applied with EE, but though I had applied for a deal to pay line rental up-front for 12 months, and even after writing to them to ask them to reconsider they turned me down. I have just this evening put through an application with TalkTalk via topcashback, so will feedback when I know, just in case anyone else is fed up with BT's extortion and price hikes.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
  • KeepOnKnitting
    Options
    Just going through some bits, and my TalkTalk line has been saving me money ever since. Even got my cashback. Winner!
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Folllowing my bankruptcy in October I was given the heave ho by Virgin Media.

Switched to Now TV for Broadband, Landline and TV - no credit check as you pay in advance.
  • haggis0073
    Options
    I second what Butts said, i went to now tv and paying alot less for alot more, as said no credit checks, just 1st month in advance

Only downside is if moving from BT then you may notice a slight difference in wifi speeds (thats if you have a house of gaming kids that all stream online)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure