Final salary pension transfer

Options
Hi folks am recently reviewing another DB transfer and would appreciate some help/feedback/views/opinions etc....

Current Position.... male 58 ..... wife 58
£300,000 in Sipp
£50000 shares
£20,000 in shares
£600,000 house value £600,000 no mortgage
CETV...£512,000 and would get flexibility but lose guarantee

Pension quoted £11725 or £10845 with early retirement reduction 0.925
OR.....TFC £60,000 & £9000 pens.....is this a good commutation rate
GMP should increase value of circa extra £5000 at 65

Wife has a guarantee annuity pens circa£4,000

CETV looks good value but could wait further year and review again .....??
Could take pens early and get extra couple years payments.....would take years to make up difference but would then lose transfer option

Any thoughts or ideas welcome/appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pension quoted £11725
    Is that pension if you were to take it now? Or when you are aged ????
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 October 2019 at 2:43AM
    Options
    Commuting cuts income by 2725 to get 60000 capital, a 22:1 commutation value, on the high side.

DB pension now 10845. Inflation increases on at least some of it, probably capped at 2.5%, 5% or some of each. Probably a spousal pension, maybe 60%.

A transfer value of 512000 using income drawdown assuming 1.5% a year of ongoing costs could produce:

1a. 16384 a year with uncapped inflation increases on a 30 year plan, 100% spousal pension or 15360 on a longer plan. 3.2% or 3.0% of capital using 4% rule with UK investments. Higher likely if you don't live through very bad times.
    1b. 22626 for 9 years then 13859 for 21 years or 21759 for 9 years then 12992 for longer. Higher drawing to bridge gap until state pension age. Otherwise like 1a. 8767 * 9 = 78903 leaving 433097. 3.2% = 13859, 3.0% = 12992.

2a. 25600 a year variable usually with inflation increases but sometimes not or with extra 10% cut or increase depending on the times you live through, 40 year plan, UK investments, 100% spousal, Guyton-Klinger rules, initially 5% of capital.
    2b. 30421 variable for 9 years then 21654 for 31. Same basis as 2a, adjusted to bridge to state pension age like 1b.

3. Some combination.

The b versions take more for 9 years to cover the lack of a state pension, producing a smoother income profile. For convenience I've assumed that the bridging portion grows with inflation so numbers are largely in today's money.

The more modern Guyton-Klinger rules recognise that people can be flexible so they can start higher and adjust when needed.

As usual for private sector transfers at the moment the transfer looks good with substantially higher expected income, greater flexibility, probably better spousal protection and better inheritance.
  • Howards
    Howards Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The pension if I take it now is £10,845..... 0.925 is early retirement charge

Thanks for your reply
  • Howards
    Options
    Apologies Joe....pension is at 60
  • Howards
    Options
    Thanks James

Can confirm couple of other points excess pension increases with CPI
    Excess pens in payment increases with RPI up to 10%
    Was previously RPI until 2011
    50% widows
    3% increase on some portion of GMP

Both have state pension of circa £8000

Not sure how you have arrived at commutation think pens difference is £1845 ..? bit confused on that
    Will digest your other figures and get back

Agree on flexibility that’s the attraction to the transfer..... numbers also look good but think figure maybe higher next year but obviously no guarantee
    Must admit bit torn really as have the Sipp and suppose could use DB for guaranteed income

Also the increase in GMP at 65 is significant........ or not.?
    Just feel unsure what’s optimum route and trying to get my head round stuff

Thanks for your help
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    what's your health like?
    and your wife's?
    and health / longevity history of your respective parents / grandparents / families?
    Put it another way are you budgeting for 20 years or 40 years?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DB pensions are longevity and market crash insurance so in doing a transfer you are swapping an insurance product for an investment product. The potential income numbers usually favour transfer from a DB plan to a DC plan, but you must also consider the added risk you are taking on and the reduction in the diversity of your finances. With the nice nest egg you already have maybe you can afford to have a very low risk retirement and keep the DB plan. Alternatively maybe you can also afford to take the added risk of being completely DC. My personal experience is that having a DB plan takes pressure of my DC investments and keeps my BP low.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DB pensions are longevity and market crash insurance so in doing a transfer you are swapping an insurance product for an investment product. The potential income numbers usually favour transfer from a DB plan to a DC plan, but you must also consider the added risk you are taking on and the reduction in the diversity of your finances. With the nice nest egg you already have maybe you can afford to have a very low risk retirement and keep the DB plan. Alternatively maybe you can also afford to take the added risk of being completely DC. My personal experience is that having a DB plan takes pressure of my DC investments and keeps my BP low.

Excellent response.

Also DB puts less pressure on any LTA limit should this become an issue.
  • Howards
    Options
    Yes very well put bostonerimus..... does feel finely balanced and guess the company are working on that ...... making an offer tempting..... like your view on pressure off DC because of DB
    and can understand Keeping BP low👍..... thanks for your comments

Thanks also mgdavid ..... both wife and myself currently ok health wise and long may it continue
    My father still alive at 82 but in a home with dementia last 3 years
    Wife’s father 88 and also in a home
    Would like to think budgeting longer term for at least one of us but both hopefully please God🙏

Think with GMP pens could be nearer to 20k at 65..... then transfer doesn’t seem so attractive..?

Appreciate your thoughts.... thanks
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Howards wrote: »
    Yes very well put bostonerimus..... does feel finely balanced and guess the company are working on that ...... making an offer tempting.....

Reflects the underlying cost of an open ended committment to fund your benefits. DB schemes are making no secret of their wish to offload their liabilities. As the cost to them is increasing all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure