Car finance settlement

bigsaver28
bigsaver28 Posts: 26 Forumite
I got my car on finance a year ago, I have recently requested a settlement figure and phoned to pay that amount. I had been away for a week and expected to come back to some king of letter stating that the debt was paid and the car is mine, but there was no letter. I emailed the car finance company and asked for this document, as yet I’ve had no response. I did receive a statement (as is sent yearly automatically I believe) but that stated that I’d paid the last payment but has ‘ closing balance £1026 (when I paid the final lump sum I was told my rebate would be 1100, so a different balance altogether) I’m not sure what that means? My two questions are:

Does that mean I still owe the money?
And should I chase up some kind of document to state that I’ve paid the debt and the car belongs to me?

Just to note, the company in question have always been a bit lousy! I’ve had to chase them up before after making a lump sum payment that all went wrong! Clearly they aren’t too keen on people paying more/ early as they lose out on interest!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport