Early repayment of Natwest loan - save money?

Options
itisgeorge
itisgeorge Posts: 13 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hello,

I have a £4,000 loan with NatWest a few years ago (no date to hand), with a rate of 25.90% and a monthly repayment of £122.94. The interest seems to be charged monthly and the remaining loan balance is £3,325.60. Does this monthly interest all get added when you pay in a lump sum regardless?

I'm looking to potentially reduce this debt by early repayment by taking out a seperate low interest loan from Zopa for instance. I'm a bit confused if repaying early actually saves money, as the last early settlement figure I requested was higher than the balance shown on statements.

Will I actually be paying more than the balance shown on the statements if I continue to pay monthly?

I also understand that you incur a early settlement fee that I can avoid by not completely paying in full and leaving a months payment remaining to be collected normally.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The earlier you pay, the more interest you save, as interest is calculated daily and added monthly.
  • itisgeorge
    itisgeorge Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    perfect! So does the balance shown on say, online banking, include the interest? If not, does that mean the balance would technically increase if I continue paying monthly to include the interest?

Thank you!
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The balance shown does not include interest usually . The settlement amount will always be higher than the remaining shown on a statement

Request a settlement figure. That is the only way to get and up to date amount you need to pay to close the account.

However I would not be considering swapping one debt for another. You are not guaranteed you will get a low rate loan. How many months left of your existing loan? Is that your only debt?
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport