PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning my washing machine

Hi everyone
I!
Im not sure if this is the right place but cant find another board to post on but Im looking for the best way to clean my washing machine,I bought DR Beckman washing machine cleaner and service wash and thought it had done a good job but lately some of our dark clothes are coming out of the machine with white lines on them,I thought it was my wash powder(Tesco own non bio) but Ive used this for years and not had a problem before
Can anyone advise me on a more natural way of cleaning my machine,I was thinking along the lines of white vinegar or lemon juice but wasnt sure on the safety of using this in my machine
Thanks in advance for any tips :)
Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9

Comments

• I used white vinegar and a maintenance wash in the past and got decent results. Used dr beckmanns deep clean as my machine was still slightly whiffy from the dispenser area. That did the job, I used a 60 degree cotton wash for this.I think you have powder solubility problems, maybe the wash was not hot enough or maybe the machine was too full so that it was not rinsing properly
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    I was told by a washing machine engineer to use half a cup of soda crystals, half a cup of white vinegar and 2 pints of water to clean my machine. I haven't tried it myself yet though as I've still got some shop bought cleaner to use up.
  • kittie wrote: »
    I used white vinegar and a maintenance wash in the past and got decent results. Used dr beckmanns deep clean as my machine was still slightly whiffy from the dispenser area. That did the job, I used a 60 degree cotton wash for this.I think you have powder solubility problems, maybe the wash was not hot enough or maybe the machine was too full so that it was not rinsing properly
    Hi thanks for the advice,there is a possibility that the machine is being overfilled so I will endeavour to keep an eye on this,I always do my clothes wash on a 40 degree wash but bedding goes on 60 degrees,I will definitely be trying the white vinegar
  • JulieM wrote: »
    I was told by a washing machine engineer to use half a cup of soda crystals, half a cup of white vinegar and 2 pints of water to clean my machine. I haven't tried it myself yet though as I've still got some shop bought cleaner to use up.
    Hi thanks for the advice,do you put the soda crystals in the drawer or in the drum,I was looking at soda crystals in Wilkos the other day and wondered if they would be any good,my machine looks clean and doesn!!!8217;t make smell so it!!!8217;s a bit of a mystery why this is happening
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I just chuck a mugful of soda crystals in the drum and run the maintenance wash. I also use a good tablespoonful in with each wash and sprinkle the washing powder directly on the clothes in the drum - I have a small shot-glass sized measure and use about 3/4 of it per wash. The soda crystals soften the water and seem to help the powder dissolve better.
  • That dr B deep clean has definitely worked. I tried soda and I tried white vinegar and three days ago used dr B for the first time. There is no whiff at all from the back of the soap dispenser :D I also bought a dr B service pack for 2 months time. My washes are mainly warm with liquids like eucalan, bought at a give away price from lakeland hence I still have a big stash

Op have you examined those streaks closely yet? Any luck and have you tried hand washing one small item to see if the white comes off?
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    on the 1st of each month I deep clean the washing machine and dishwasher with either white vinegar or lemon juice, which ever ive got more of at the time!! works a treat.
  • I tried the soda crystals and vinegar, then a service wash. I did this several times. The machine was still giving me slightly unfresh clothes and they were nit that grubby when tgey went in so I bought a packet of Dr Beckmans and that worked. By that time, I reckoned that was probably cheaper than keeping on using electricity to no avail.

I later read somewhere that washing liquids tend to create a build up in the machine, no idea if that's really true but I've had no problem since switching back to powder.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • The washing always looks and smells clean its just the odd white mark,I still havent tried the vinegar yet as Im having trouble actually finding any,I am going to get some soda crystals tomorrow though see if that helps
    I use wash tablets in my machine,I dont like liquid or liquid tabs as in the past I found they made my machine smelly,Im going to run it on a really hot wash as well to see if that helps
    Thanks for all the tips everyone,I will let you know how I get on when I eventually get it done :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure