PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Anyone sprout seeds?

Options
Hi folks. I have one of those jars for sprouting pulses and seeds and would like to rediscover the joys of sprouting my own for a bit of green stuff. Which do you sprout and do you have any tips?

Thanks
"It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"

Comments

• superpup
    superpup Posts: 571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I sprout seeds. Thanks for reminding me, I stopped in the summer as it was too hot and never started again. :D I mainly sprout broccoli seeds and buy organic ones in bulk from a seller on eBay. Sometimes I sprout sunflower, radish and others but always come back to broccoli. I've soaked nuts and seeds to make them more digestible but don't always get them to the visible sprouting stage.

Actually, I've just realised I sprouted chickpeas last weekend. I tend to soak a large batch overnight then drain them in a colander, cover with a tea towel and rinse a few times a day for a couple of days until they've sprouted. I save some to make raw sprouted hummus and cook and freeze the rest so they're ready for my recipes and I never have to buy them in cans.

It's super easy. Just make sure your things are really clean. I don't sterilise anything. Don't let them get too warm. Put them somewhere you will see them regularly so you don't forget to rinse them! I try and rinse 3 times a day minimum. Keep out of direct sunlight and cover most seeds to block light to begin with. There is a lot of info online re soaking and sprouting times. They're pretty forgiving as long as you don't forget to rinse.

They're really good for you and really jazz up salads and sandwiches! I hope you have fun and thank you for the kick up the backside to get my broccoli seeds going again! :T
  • timehastoldme
    timehastoldme Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 February 2019 at 12:08AM
    Options
    We've just bought a jar thing and some broccoli and alfalfa seeds to experiment with after trying reduced sticker sprouts from Waitrose the other week and really liking them. Will be interested to see how everyone else uses their sprouts!
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    I do from time to time. Not just now; I'm currently limited to a low-residue diet, but although I have been given & used (then sold on) an "official" sprouting set-up, I'm just as happy using an old Kilner jar with a tied-on muslin cover - my garage is where old Kilners come to rest, and they take up less space! I just keep them on the (north-facing, no direct sunlight) kitchen windowsill & make sure to rinse & drain them out daily until they're needed.

I've usually sprouted assorted brassicas, radishes & special sprouting mixes for a bit of tasty crunch in my salads, but mung beans from the health food shop work perfectly well too.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreenQueen
    Options
    Just out of interest, can you use "ordinary" packets of seeds (e.g. broccoli), or do you have to have seeds that are specially marketed for sprouting? Did wonder whether the ones for planting in the garden had any treatments applied making them unsuitable.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    GreenQueen wrote: »
    Just out of interest, can you use "ordinary" packets of seeds (e.g. broccoli), or do you have to have seeds that are specially marketed for sprouting? Did wonder whether the ones for planting in the garden had any treatments applied making them unsuitable.

Some "normal" seeds have been coated to prevent moulds but it normally states this on the packet

I've only sprouted mung beans so no experience of other types

I guess, if wary, you could use "ordinary" organic ones?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • GreenQueen
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I guess, if wary, you could use "ordinary" organic ones?

That sounds like a good plan - organic seeds aren't usually much more expensive than cheap ones. I've thought about sprouting seeds before, but want to try it for minimal cost until I'm sure I like them and it's worth the effort.
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • Gintotmelinda
    Options
    Thaks for the comments and suggestions folks
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My OH recently did some work for a business that coat seeds with weedkillers and fertilizers (more efficient than spraying the fields), so please be careful with what you buy and sprout!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport