PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best value washing powder

Options
I try not to waste washing detergent and use the supermarket basics powder with just a small amount for each wash.
I’m just wondering if that’s perhaps the best method? I’m sure the seasoned old stylers will know the best detergents/powders that get the clothes clean, smell nice and aren’t expensive? I don’t need lots of perfume necessarily but who doesn’t like getting into a freshly made bed which also smells nice?

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I use the Lidl Formil liquid. It’s about £2 - £3 for a 21 wash bottle and regularly goes on offer - it’s in offer this weekend actually :D

It gets the stains out and smells great I’ve used both the non bio and the bio and have no complaints at all!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aerial smells nice, but haven't bought that for ages. Aldi is pretty good, currently I have got Tesco's but I just generally get whatever is on offer.
  • pinkladyvenus
    Options
    I use astonish which has a fabric conditioner built in, I use less than recommended amount and it works well.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't usually have very grubby clothes and use soap nuts on alternative washes. I also use some soda crystals.
  • discat11
    discat11 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The lidl and aldi liquids & powders usually do very well in which? tests also.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a "Surf" powder fan, I'm in a soft water area and find around 1/3 of the recommended amount gets the vast majority of stains out at 30C. It's frequently on SO so I never pay full price and the amount I use works out a few pence per wash. For very lightly soiled items that need freshened rather than cleaned I don't add powder as a residue builds up and just pop on the rinse cycle. Saves a bit and also helps stop the machine pipes from getting clogged.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Eco egg. And line dry outside for fresh smelling sheets.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • KathCW
    KathCW Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    I use the Lidl Formil liquid. It’s about £2 - £3 for a 21 wash bottle and regularly goes on offer - it’s in offer this weekend actually :D

It gets the stains out and smells great I’ve used both the non bio and the bio and have no complaints at all!

I use the Lidl Formil powder, which I find really good - with the help of a bit of Vanish for heavier marks.
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Lidl and Aldi detergents are good, think I'm using a Lidl at the moment.
    I've used Wil*kinsons, and Morries own brands, also T*sco and Sains. They seem perfectly ok.
    Our clothes don't get particularly dirty these days, and we don't have young children any more. Clothes just need freshening more than anything.

I'm a messy cook though, so spray grease and other food stains with Sh*ut, I find it works really well, or V*nish solid bar is good as well.
  • ninnoodle
    Options
    I use Aldi's Almat 2in1 powder, the lavender one. It's great, smells good and one box lasts me several months (I don't use the full amount either)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure