'& Living With It'?

Options
First of all, thank you so much for the copious amounts of advice this forum has given me when going through the process. It's very much a valuable resource and appreciated by many.

I'm writing this post in reference to the forum title. How do you all view the forum naming? I was frequently told that bankruptcy is a financial solution and does not carry the same stigma/shame as it did years ago. I appreciate that for many it can be an embarrassing time and cause stress when people become aware.

That said, if we are trying to progress from times gone by, why is the forum named as though bankruptcy has to be a 'crime' or 'life long burden'? For many it is a relief after years of financial hell, quite the opposite of a sentence to be carried for life. Again, I appreciate that some may struggle with the gravity of the solution, however, it is a solution and the IVA/DRO boards do not carry such naming. I don't see it as something to live with - It was a process, reality is that 6 years on and it's a process pretty much erased in all but an archive and valuable financial lessons.

Does a more relevant forum name suit 2018, or are we still very much wondering how we live with ourselves?

Comments

• Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    i think you reading too much into the title...
    "the living with it" part to me says how to cope with stricter budget, living within your means, how to improve credit file afterwards, what to avoid to fall into debt again etc

i don' see the negativity on it as "it helps you to cope with the bad stigma from being bankrupt and what to tell people who know you are bankrupt"

i see where you are coming from, but personally don't see the negativity
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I have no problem with the boards title.

In some ways it never goes away like the question " have you or anyone in your household ever been bankrupt" when applying for home insurance. Which is annoying but for most of the time its at the back of my mind.
  • alltaken
    alltaken Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2018 at 9:36AM
    Options
    The issue is it's titled as though it's a burden to bear for life. The background picture with a storm and boxing glove, it's like a battle that will always be on the horizon.

Mainly, it's the DRO & IVA solutions not having any such add-on naming and those are labelled as solutions. Why was the bankruptcy board given particular attention?

IVA & The aftermath
    DRO & The struggle

It just doesn't fit the purpose of the solution or the advice given on the board IMO, it's not like anyone offering advice here has to follow up with a staple 'You'll have to work out how to live with yourself, we can help if needed'. It's often said that it's a 12 month process and not to worry as much as you likely are. Certainly not dark clouds hanging over your head with a life long fight to contend with after it's done.

Can you see any other inappropriate add-on names to the other financial forum titles?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

They're all apt and fitting to the solution. Loans for example, it's not titled 'Loans & What to do if you default' etc etc. Although bankruptcy is financial ruin, it's also a process and deserving of its status as a solution reflected in the naming and associated picture - just like the other financial solutions on the forum.
  • alltaken
    edited 14 August 2018 at 9:50AM
    Options
    I have no problem with the boards title.

In some ways it never goes away like the question " have you or anyone in your household ever been bankrupt" when applying for home insurance. Which is annoying but for most of the time its at the back of my mind.

Perhaps by the same logic the IVA board should carry the same title? After all, an IVA solution can preclude applicants from certain financial products in the same way... When the question comes up on a form it's a one in many years event, IMO not something to live with on a daily basis - rather a one off 'oh wait' moment that could warrant an enquiry on these boards, like any other previously non-bankrupt member could have many financial questions.
  • alltaken
    Options
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    i think you reading too much into the title...
    "the living with it" part to me says how to cope with stricter budget, living within your means, how to improve credit file afterwards, what to avoid to fall into debt again etc

i don' see the negativity on it as "it helps you to cope with the bad stigma from being bankrupt and what to tell people who know you are bankrupt"

i see where you are coming from, but personally don't see the negativity

It's certainly a comfort to know help is here for anyone struggling with their finances after the fact, the same is a given on the mortgages forum on MSE, albeit without the branding. The same could be said for IVA & DRO completions, yet they are not afforded the same forum titles.

Personally, I think the naming maintains the stigma, newer solutions like IVA & DRO were skipped over in the naming forum wise - likely due to there being less stigma associated with those solutions. It's odd.
  • Craig1981
    First Anniversary
    Options
    sounds like you have more issue with the pictures than the title

again, I understand where you coming from and can see it from your side, but personally don't have an issue with it and don't believe many others would either, or surely would have been discussed previously or changed etc already?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I don't see why IVAs and DROs are lumped together as they are very different.

I'd have no problem joining them all into one forum which you could call bankruptcy, IVAs and DROs or just ... insolvency
  • Craig1981
    First Anniversary
    Options
    fatbelly wrote: »
    I don't see why IVAs and DROs are lumped together as they are very different.

I'd have no problem joining them all into one forum which you could call bankruptcy, IVAs and DROs or just ... insolvency

agreed - Lump all three together under "Insolvency and Living with it"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport