Sending copies of Passport/ID documents to Recruitment Agencies

Options
Would you be happy sending a scanned copy of your Passport (or other primary ID documents) to a recruitment agency as Proof of Identity ?

Agencies are now required to confirm the identity of jobseekers.

Although I understand this, I am a reluctant to send scanned copies of primary ID documents like this by email.

Even though the agency says it will be held under Data Protection Act, I don't believe for a second there is any protection with primary ID documents floating around on their computers. Some of these agencies I may only have brief dealings with, yet they may request a copy of my passport, which will be held on their system indefinitely with little protection, I suspect.

I was thinking of deleting the passport number, so at least the scan does not show this.

Anyone got any suggestions or comments on sending scans of primary ID documents to recruitment agencies ?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    If you delete your passport number, then it will not be valid for official identification purposes.

Alternatively, if you didn't want to send them electronically, you could take copies in, and request that they store them in hard copy.

TBH if someone wants to get your details for fraudulent reasons, they will do, irrespective of any measures that you take.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Any employer (agency or not) should request this. You can provide your Full British Birth Certificate and documented NI if you prefer. Technically they should actually see the origional and then scan or photocopy it.

It is a goverment directive to Prevent Illegal Working. If you don't trust this agency i suggest you register with a different one, although i suspect your fears are unfounded.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    liney wrote: »
    Any employer (agency or not) should request this. You can provide your Full British Birth Certificate and documented NI if you prefer. Technically they should actually see the origional and then scan or photocopy it.

It is a goverment directive to Prevent Illegal Working. If you don't trust this agency i suggest you register with a different one, although i suspect your fears are unfounded.
    They only need to confirm your identity, doesn't mean they need to store copies of your documents.

After seeing your document, ticking the box that they have seen, what will the agency do with it, nothing I guess.

It's nothing to do with trust.
    You've seen the shambles in government in the way it handles & stores data.
    That will be far worse in recruitment agencies, who let's face it, couldn't care less & would happily place anyone if they could make a commission.

Emailing copies to random computers, where copies of your ID will be held indefinitely is not good.
  • john539
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    If you delete your passport number, then it will not be valid for official identification purposes.

Alternatively, if you didn't want to send them electronically, you could take copies in, and request that they store them in hard copy.

TBH if someone wants to get your details for fraudulent reasons, they will do, irrespective of any measures that you take.
    How about deleting my date of birth ?
  • dmg24
    Options
    If you delete any details of the details, it will not be valid for identification purposes.

They need to store a copy as proof that they have checked in the first place.

I think you are being overly paranoid.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • john539
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    If you delete any details of the details, it will not be valid for identification purposes.

They need to store a copy as proof that they have checked in the first place.

I think you are being overly paranoid.
    Who says it won't be valid ?

The agencies are being paranoid in thinking they need to keep copies.

They only need to confirm name against ID, nothing else.
  • dmg24
    Options
    john539 wrote: »
    Who says it won't be valid ?

The agencies are being paranoid in thinking they need to keep copies.

They only need to confirm name against ID, nothing else.

If you are not going to believe anyone, why not go and do your own research?

I hate to think what you would be like when you get a job!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    It is unlawful to photocopy a passport, so the agency needs to see the original and note down the number and date when it was done. I would therefore take the documents to the agency in person and wait while they note the details.
    They Asylum and Immigration Act 1995 (which is what this is about) says nothing about retaining copies of documents.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fengirl wrote: »
    It is unlawful to photocopy a passport

Do you have a cite for that?

Especially as the FCO recomend
    "Make a note of the passport number, date and place of issue (or take a photocopy), and keep separately in a safe place....
    Keep your passport in the hotel safe and carry a photocopy with you."
    http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1098377476175
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    john539 wrote: »
    They only need to confirm your identity, doesn't mean they need to store copies of your documents.

After seeing your document, ticking the box that they have seen, what will the agency do with it, nothing I guess.

It's nothing to do with trust.
    You've seen the shambles in government in the way it handles & stores data.
    That will be far worse in recruitment agencies, who let's face it, couldn't care less & would happily place anyone if they could make a commission.

Emailing copies to random computers, where copies of your ID will be held indefinitely is not good.

In order for the employer to have a defence in court, should you turn out to be working illegally having provided false documentation (for example) they do have to keep a copy on file. If you would like to speak to the Employers Helpline (Goverment phone line - link on Home Office page) they will confirm this for you.

This is not just a requirement for Employment Agencies, it applies to every employer. Also, if the REC inspected the Agency, they would probably remove membership if they were not retaining copies of the correct documents, as they could be employing people illegally.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure