Sick Pay after suspension.

Options
I’ts been a while since I posted since my susension from work.
When I returned since March/April time 2017.
I was advised I wouldn’t get any sick pay if I was unable to attend work.
Is there any rule to sick pay as I forgot if this was for a full year after suspension or if it was another 6 months on my return (the term of suspension)
I have asked employers to provide and answer,though thought I could ask via mser’s
Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry. Maybe I'm tired. But I can't make sense of this. Company sick pay? SSP? you'll need to explain.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the OP has been told they won't get sickpay if they take time off following a return to work after being suspended and doesn't know if this is for 6 months or 12 months after they start back.

OP you'll have to wait for your employer, no-one else here knows your company policies.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks mser’s
    I’ll wait employers answer.
    To confirm it was indeed employers sick pay I was referring to.
    I don’t intend to take time off work,though It will be good to know if I can put the suspension into history.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • sangie595
    Options
    Suspension and sick leave are totally different. But this does come down to the employers policy, as they can pay anything over SSP according too whatever rules they have.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    sangie595 wrote: »
    Suspension and sick leave are totally different. But this does come down to the employers policy, as they can pay anything over SSP according too whatever rules they have.
    Thanks sangie595
    Exactly, as I don’t know which rules they were following though I do know to be fair it was made clear I wouldn’t receive any sick pay-let’s hope this isn’t permanent.
    I’ll post update via mse once I have the answer from employers-maybe in a few days or a little longer.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Yes, sick pay over SSP is always at the employer's discretion (although some employers may have it as a contractual right, this is increasingly rare).
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Yes, sick pay over SSP is always at the employer's discretion (although some employers may have it as a contractual right, this is increasingly rare).

In theory it is possible they could have removed sick pay permanently since suspension.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Irrespective of not paying Company Sick Pay, the employer would still have to pay Statutory Sick Pay if the employee had earned enough in the previous 8 weeks. An employer cannot choose not to pay SSP.
  • sangie595
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Irrespective of not paying Company Sick Pay, the employer would still have to pay Statutory Sick Pay if the employee had earned enough in the previous 8 weeks. An employer cannot choose not to pay SSP.
    There's are reasons, other than ineligibility of course, why an employer can chose not to pay SSP. It rarely happens, but it does happen. The usual one is where an employer doesn't believe the sickness. I recall a case on one of these forums actually, where someone off sick had been spending their time off standing in the cold selling at car boots for full days. The employer had evidence of this and suspended SSP subject to further investigation. If I recall correctly, they were dismissed in the end as their SSP claim was found to be fraudulent.
  • Dandytf
    Options
    Thanks mser’s
    Employer advised today sick pay when off work has been re instated for quite some time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure