Glasses without prescription

Options
I am able to order contact lenses without proof of prescription from vision direct and wondered if I can get glasses from their sister site glasses direct without a prescription?
Reason being I am trying reduced lens therapy so try to improve my eyesight and don't want full prescription glasses
My prescription is -2.00 and -2.25 but I want -1.00 and -1.25 instead.
Has anyone ordered from glasses direct and did they insist on proof?

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can order what you want.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I personally believe you are foolish to try and do either with your sight. I hope you don't drive.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    I hope you don't drive.

Indeed, and if you do drive without your correct prescription glasses/lenses I believe you would be breaking the law, as well as putting yourself and others in danger.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Current opinion in the UK suggests that wearing reduced prescripton won't stop your eye detiorating.

You could ask whoever tested your eyes for a reduced prescription I am sure that 95%+ of optometrists wouldn't as their is evidene that reduced presctiptions actually accelate myopia in younger patients.

If would be illegal for an online company to supply anything except the prescription as stated - dosen't mean they won't.( It is the same with c/lenses! )

It is not against the law to drive with a reduced prescription as long as you can read the no plate just very stupid. ( you probably wont be able to read no plate with 1D undercorrection )

reduced prescriptons are often asked for and used in the far East - They have signifcantly higher levels of myopia than we do.
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you think about it logically it makes no sense.

Commonly someone comes in and they are stuggling to see in distance you find say -0.75. So the px has been wearing an 'undercorrection' of +0.75 and it has got worse.

You see them 1 year later they feel it has got worse. You find -1.50 so again the px has been wearing an undercorrection of +0.75 and it has made it worse.

Generally speaking myopia starts either 8-12 or late teens / early twenties then worsens for a few years before levelling off.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear sweet Jesus, you'd be as well just chucking your glasses in the bin and waking about with nothing on your face
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Undercorrection does not seem to work for myopia or memory.. the op posted a simular question in December.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure