Which self employed tradesmen earns more?

Options
2»

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The one you need at 10pm on a bank holiday Sunday!
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The one who is reliable, has excellent skills (including marketing) and is prepared to work the hardest.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    dodgy teeth whitening person
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know tradesmen you have to book months in advance, who live in £400k houses drive £50k cars and holiday 2-3 times a year all over the world. They must be earning at least £70k. They also tend to work 50 hours plus in a week.

I've also met several who had to give up self-employment and go back to working for an employer, as they couldn't make enough to keep themselves going.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Usually the most skilled and hardest working.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Avon rep...
  • walshie123
    Options
    where I live (north yorkshire) the prices are around the following:

gas engineer £30-40ph
    Electrician £30-35ph
    plumber £30-35ph
    Bricklayer £25-30ph
    joiner £22-30ph
    plasterer £20-25ph
    roofer £20-25ph

just as a guide. full time sub contractors might charge slightly less but this is what you would expect to pay for private one off work for fully insured skilled tradesmen. you can annualise the figures but i know a gas engineer who topped £200k 3 years in a row.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    I know tradesmen you have to book months in advance, who live in £400k houses drive £50k cars and holiday 2-3 times a year all over the world. They must be earning at least £70k. They also tend to work 50 hours plus in a week.

I've also met several who had to give up self-employment and go back to working for an employer, as they couldn't make enough to keep themselves going.

Nail on the head there. Everyone goes on about how much plumbers earn, but I know of several who've given it up and gone back into employment, one of whom now works at the local college teaching plumbing. It's not the trade itself, it's the person, how good they are at general business skills, such as marketing, administration, organisation, time management, etc., and also what kind of work they do, i.e. our electrician has "rebranded" himself into security cameras, fire/security alarms, etc and only does "normal" electrics for his old regular customers now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure