Council Tax Re-banding – No Win No Fee Warning

Options
Back in the late Spring I received a visit from a company (name of the company (Money Saving xxxxxx) very similar to this website) offering to get our property re-banded on a no win no fee basis.

I had previously appealed to no avail, so thought that I couldn't lose even though they wanted 50% of refund if appeal successful.

THE WARNING! Ensure you read the small print as it may not be clear that in addition to the 50% you will be billed for VAT at 20%.

I feel very stupid & angry with myself for losing so much of what is in effect is my money to a company who probably spent half an hour of their time on my case & earned close to £3,000.

I accept that they did work on my case & require payment for that work, it is just that once you see the sums of money in the cold light of day it is heart breaking.

I am now off to take my medicine, send off a very large check before they commence legal action as payment has to be made within 7 days of the refund by the Council.

If anyone can suggest a legal way to reduce the payment I am keen to listen, negotiation does not appear to be an option!

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately you agreed to 50% of your refund as their fee and if the company is registered for VAT it is legally obliged to add 20% to its fee.

I cannot see that the company is legally in the wrong. The fees were upfront, the company achieved something you apparently couldn't, so you have a gain, but smaller at 40% rather than the 50% you were expecting.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • JCapirote
    Options
    Surely they should advertise clearly that they have to add VAT along with telling you personally. A little bit naughty in my opinion
    :A:ARemember, Never drive faster than your angel can fly!:A:A
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JCapirote wrote: »
    Surely they should advertise clearly that they have to add VAT along with telling you personally. A little bit naughty in my opinion

You have replied to a post that is 4 yrs old!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure