Mortgage Overpayments or Loan Options to Fund Career Change

Options
Hi everyone,

I need some advice as I am considering a career change so will need an income as I will be leaving a regular salary that I have had for over 30 years. There will be a transition period of approx 10-12 months until I will be getting a regular decent income again. During this time I have dependents so the monthly income and paying direct debits is vital.

Over the next 10-12 months I will need to borrow about £30k to fund the career change. This is to cover my normal living expenses and re-training expenses.
I have a flexible 2.75% mortgage with £10k balance and 5.5 years remaining. I have paid £40k overpayments into this mortgage so I can draw some of this back but aware that this will increase monthly repayments considerably. Apart from this I only have about £10k savings.
I can also access my pension in just under 2 years as I will be 55.

Is taking back the repayments on my current mortgage the best option I have to fund my career change, or should I consider remortgaging or a personal loan? I don't have to take all the £30k overpayments at once as this can be staggered over the period so I am not paying unnecessary interest.
Alternatively is it possible to get a loan that I dont have to repay for 2 years so I can then use my pension to clear at that point?
Or are there any other suggestions
Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family