Extreme life extension and it's impacts on the planet

Extreme life extensions will happen within my lifetime I am fairly confident of this

If life expectancy can be increased to 250 years that would mean a UK of 70 million will become a UK of >200 million just through births exceeding deaths and the planet rather than peaking at 10 billion will peak at 30 billion

And there isn't necessarily even an upper physical limitation
Long live mammals live 200+ years some sharks 400+ years and plants an order of magnitude more still

With technology and bio engineering there is no reason to exclude the possibility of living as long as you want, hundreds, thousands even millions of years

Do any of the projections done by 'the experts' have plans and predictions for extreme life extensions? Humanity will probably expand to be hundreds of billions just on earth

Comments

• agentk
    agentk Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't worry agenda 21 will sort it!:)
    3.55kw 2 systems 2.3 se 1.25 sw installed may 2011 and oct 2011..

I have never been mis sold anything but i have bought a few things i didnt need!
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We can all have a Soylent Green type future.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    According to the bible our ancestors lived for hundreds of years. I tend to treat other such unsubstantiated "facts" with similar scepticism.
    Aside from which, going dolally at 90 odd then having another 150 years f being cared for wouldn't be top of my preferred lifestyle choices.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Who is going to pay your living costs for two hundred years? I honestly believe due to constraints on planet Earth, ie food, water, space, the younger generation will decide to cull the older humans who have no use and are only using up valuable resources.
    I have just buried an elderly ill relative. I hope to goodness I don't have to spend my final years as she did.
  • agentk
    agentk Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    3.55kw 2 systems 2.3 se 1.25 sw installed may 2011 and oct 2011..

I have never been mis sold anything but i have bought a few things i didnt need!
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Who is going to pay your living costs for two hundred years? I honestly believe due to constraints on planet Earth, ie food, water, space, the younger generation will decide to cull the older humans who have no use and are only using up valuable resources.
    I have just buried an elderly ill relative. I hope to goodness I don't have to spend my final years as she did.

I believe in the not too distant future ageing itself will be cured
    You'd be in a 30 year old body forever

If we stay as biology my guess is your genetic code will be rewritten
    So that your cells and biology simple fixes everything itself
    Lost an arm grow a new one
    Kidneys not doing so good grow a replacement internally let the other one be absorbed

People would still die
    From accidents or through choice
    But most people probably 99% would just keep on living

The birth rate would collapse as people can put off having kids for decades or centuries
    But the average women would give birth to many many kids
    Perhaps hundreds (over many hundreds of years) so the population would continuously grow

Unlike many on here I'm confident this planet can accommodate at least a trillion humans
    Maybe even tens of trillions

And if we go digital the number would more or less become limitless
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2020 at 9:17PM
    elsien wrote: »
    According to the bible our ancestors lived for hundreds of years. I tend to treat other such unsubstantiated "facts" with similar scepticism.

Aside from which, going dolally at 90 odd then having another 150 years f being cared for wouldn't be top of my preferred lifestyle choices.

Our ancestors did/do live for hundreds of years

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/the-strange-and-gruesome-story-of-the-greenland-shark-the-longest-living-vertebrate-on-earth/amp

At some point in the future 'humans ' will live for thousands of years
    The only question is when, not if

Even biology can survive for a few thousand years eg some trees
    That's probably not the limit of biology
    And then there is digital which will probably allow consciousness to be extended to billions perhaps trillions of years
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Did you read the bit in the article that said
    "With the help of a mathematical model that linked size with age, they estimated that one sixteen-foot female was at least two hundred and seventy-two years old, and possibly as much as five hundred and twelve years old. Because it is difficult to establish background carbon-14 levels in the ocean, and because Nielsen and his colleagues didn’t know which part of the ocean the sharks had been born in, the figure was inexact. "

So kind of maybe, maybe not?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    the bear AI will fix it all.

True or false?
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure